2019 tw problems
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: 2019 tw problems

2019 tw problems

I have a 2019 tw with 12 miles on it I bought new I put a DG Slip on on it and thats all. I try to ride and even after letting it warm up for 10 min it dies soon as i go to give it any throtel, the only way to keep it running is to keep the choke half way. Do i need to adjust the air/fuel mix screw or should i take it back to the dealer where i bought it??

I think you’re on the right track with the air fuel screw, but if you’re still within the 6 mos warranty I would take it to the dealer. Did this just happen all of a sudden or has it always been that way? Changes in weather and altitude often affect the functionality. Let us know how it goes.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

it has been like that since i brought it home. it run like that at the dealer and they said it should level out once everything gets warm and set in. I just got the bike in December

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah definitely make them figure it out. Is the dealer far from you or PIA to get it there?
    Peterb likes this.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

Just what would you expect the dealer to do or say other than repeat something like their original observation that "it should level out once everything gets warm and set in"?
    This is a legitimate question.
    Like the exhaust change I imagine they will view opening up the cover to the mixture screw as a possible warrantee voiding activity, much less adjusting said mixture screw.
    I imagine there is only so much a dealer can bill Yamaha Motor Corp for when it comes to warrantee work on a just sold machine.
    Certainly they can be nice and reassure you, possibly warm bike up thoroughly and confirm idle speed is within specs and then have customer ride it around . But I would not expect much else unless your dealership is one of the few very good ones.
    Sthrnromr, Purple, Darth and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

that is why i never opened it up i will let them “Tune” the bike since it is under warranty. the dealer is about an hour and a half away
    Last edited by JPeek; 02-03-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Most likely the DG is causing it to run lean. Put the OEM muff back on and if the problem goes away you will need to increase the main jet size, maybe to 130. Or, you could just pop a 130 in there and see what happens. Half choke (enrichment circuit) is approximately equal to 4 to 6 jet numbers up. Turning out the idle jet needle screw to 2.5 turns will help once you get the main jet sized right. There is no such thing as a mixture screw on the TW, go do some homework in the technical write-ups section. Here's a good place to start: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...rb-tuning.html

And: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...ification.html

This is good too:
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

rbm
    Or, maybe, a dose of Seafoam is in order....

Once again, just exactly what do you expect the dealer to do to "tune" the new machine?

There is nothing to "tune" on a new TW under warrantee in order to keep it under warrantee other than to confirm it was set up properly from the crate. They can confirm that things are correct like the enrichment plunger is working, fuel in tank, idle speed correct, etc but there is nothing to change, or "tune" on a TW under warrantee that takes awhile to warm up. They can, and will likely, dismiss your concerns as a result of the non-factory exhaust modification. You can put the stock muffler back on prior to dropping TW off at the dealer to avoid this critique then re-install the DG Slip On after you pick bike back up again but it doesn't alter the fact that DGs typically benefit from potentially warrantee voiding jetting changes. If they can't get the bike to run properly with the stock exhaust maybe they can install a new carburetor or whatever turns out to be necessary and then bill Yamaha Motor Corporation for the parts and labor, but I would not hold my breath.
    Maybe your West Virginia dealers are less reluctant to incur in-house expenses as well as performing potential warrantee voiding activities like opening up the carb as out here. I consider the warrantee as fairly worthless in that it restricts what an owner or dealer can do on their own.

If you do authorize them to do anything try to get in writing that said authorization does not constitute a voiding of your warrantee.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-03-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Bottom line – you modified the bike by putting an aftermarket exhaust on – the dealer has no obligation beyond that point. They sold you a bike that in its original state ran just fine - as soon as you changed that original state, it’s on your shoulders

Tough love – but that’s the way it is

The DG slip on can be made to work, but it can take months of experimentation according to altitude. Expect very little power gain (in the scheme of things), but every one behind you will be impressed at the noise it makes, including the LEO’s that you go past in town

Works on paper – pain in the butt otherwise, which you seem to be finding out

No criticism, just an observation - the DG (on its own) only complicates things – there is no such thing as a free lunch …….
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links