Oil Leak
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak

I have an oil leak on the left side crankcase cover. I have replaced the gasket twice. I also replaced the shift shaft seal, the transmission shaft seal, and the outer transmission support bearing and seal, and it still leaks! I am unable to determine where the leak is coming from visually. And yes, my gasket surfaces were clean. Any ideas where to start?

My tappet covers (valve covers) were leaking and it ran down the left side of my bike when on the side stand. It frustrated the heck out of me.

Start with a clean and dry bike and throw on some baby powder onto the left side of the bike and up towards the cylinder head. The powder will stick to the oil and show you where the oil is coming from.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    My tappet covers (valve covers) were leaking and it ran down the left side of my bike when on the side stand. It frustrated the heck out of me.

Start with a clean and dry bike and throw on some baby powder onto the left side of the bike and up towards the cylinder head. The powder will stick to the oil and show you where the oil is coming from.
    It is coming out of the lower crankcase. The problem is that when it is ridden, the oil spreads, so even if you could see all the points it could leak, you can't tell where its coming from.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Check the neutral light switch. It is down where all the seals you named are, about 2 o'clock from the drain plug, IIRC. The center post gets loose and it oozes oil.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I was thinking of suggesting putting some tracer dye in engine oil but not sure if that would stain oil level window.....
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Just a guess?.....the manual shows a particular sequence in which the case screws/bolts should be tightened and proper torque value.....is this a possibility?.

My second TW was leaking oil. I replaced gaskets and seals as you did and it leaked less but still leaked. I took it apart one more time and found oil on the neutral light switch. I changed it and it hasn't leaked a drop since.

Here is a picture of what it looks like. Red arrows point to where it was leaking from. You might be able to inspect it if you lean the bike to the right and look up under the cover with a flashlight. It is worth a try.

BTW, it cost about $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Check the neutral light switch. It is down where all the seals you named are, about 2 o'clock from the drain plug, IIRC. The center post gets loose and it oozes oil.
    Thanks, I forgot to mention that I replaced the sealing gasket on the neutral switch but this weekend I will crank it and let it run to see if the neutral switch is leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Just a guess?.....the manual shows a particular sequence in which the case screws/bolts should be tightened and proper torque value.....is this a possibility?.
    I actually torqued the screws. This TW has been leaking for two years so I have done it by the book! My other TW never leaks. I really think it may be the neutral switch because I noticed when I put it back together, it didn't start leaking until the engine was warm.

Quote Originally Posted by ldw72120 View Post
    I really think it may be the neutral switch....................................

I am just curious, was it the neutral switch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links