What was your latest garage project? - Page 7
Close

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: What was your latest garage project?

I had no idea they made them with PTO s ! The only accessory I ever had for mine was a hiller/furrower that I didn't care much for and sold .
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

The pto model went into production in 83, before that it did not exist. The tine transmission come off by just loosening two bolts and rotating them out of the way. One thing I really like is that on this model you can shut off the tines with the pto so if you need to move it across the yard the tunes don’t have to be turning when it’s in gear and moving.

I have the log splitter for mine as seen above. I got that as a package deal with the other tiller that I sold. It also came with the hiller/furrower, a row marker, a tow hitch for a wagon and a plow. I kept all those accessories and have used them all.

The plow I have found real handy, I have used it to move small amounts of wet snow that would have just clogged the snowblower and last weekend I spread 3 yards of compost in my garden in like 30 min and it made it so easy.

Here is a pic with the tines off and the plow attachment on it,

They also made a brush chipper and a generator for it. I do t need the generator but if I could find a chipper for the right price I would snag it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

[QUOTEOne thing I really like is that on this model you can shut off the tines with the pto so if you need to move it across the yard the tunes don’t have to be turning when it’s in gear and moving. ][/QUOTE]

I wish mine had this feature. Its a real pia to get it up my steel loading ramps into the back of the truck and keep it up high enough before shifting into neutral so the tines don't dig up the bed of the truck. My tines are Not counter rotating either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My latest project is winning so far and beating me to death. Outside of dealing with a nasty infection affecting my left eye I am trying to get my 1987 BW 350 back to trail ready. For those unfamiliar with the Big Wheel bikes, they have 2 chains. One from the engine sprocket to an inside jachshaft sprocket and another from the outside jackshaft to the rear wheel. The rear wheel chain adjusts same as our TWs but the main drive chain adjusts by way of cam bearings inside the swing arm. The bearings allow the swing arm to move forward and back to take up any slack as the chain and sprockets wear.
    I bought all new X ring chains and all new sprockets and installed them. I went to adjust the inside drive chain by moving the swing arm back a notch but it is frozen in place. The cam bearings in the swing arm are a metal to metal fit and unlike our TWs the swing arm and these bearings did not come with a zirk grease fitting. 32 years of rusting together and the bearings need to be replaced. I have all the parts ready to install however the swing arm has to come off to do the job. Just like the TW there is a long bolt holding the swing arm to the frame that goes the cam bearings and through the rear of the engine case. This long bolt is frozen/rusted solid and I can't get it to budge. I guess rust is a wonderful welder. I have a new bolt so I tried to pound on the threaded end to break it free but no dice. I tried with a large breaker bar to break it free and no dice. Then I went to my buddy who has heavy equipment and borrowed some of his heavy duty tools, really heavy duty. He loaned me a big jack hammer for busting up rocks and concrete. I laid the bike on it's side and propped it up under the head side of the bolt and with a guide pipe to hold the pounding chisel over the threaded side I started jack hammering to break the bolt free and push it out. It never budged even a tiny bit, Damn. This is the point where most would say use heat and a lot of it. I agree however this is not at all a possibility. First, on the chain side of the swing arm is the plastic chain slider that is really hard to replace if you can even find one. Then there are electrical wires wrapped around and behind the swing arm right where the heat would need to go and the bolt goes right through the rear of the aluminum engine case. Heat is not an option as long as the swing arm is still on the bike. Then I borrowed a much larger breaker bar with 3/4 inch drive and real heavy sockets and tried to break it free. I thought I was getting somewhere because it did begin to turn. Keep in mind I have been soaking these stuck parts for over a week now with PB Blaster, almost used a full can. That 4 foot breaker bar did it's job and broke the head of the bolt right off leaving the rest still as stuck as when I began. SOB! Now I have no way to turn and am at a near impossible dilemma. What I need is a very heavy duty hydraulic bearing press but no place I know of has one I can stuff an entire BW 350 through. My only other option is to drill the damn bolt out. I embarked on that mission yesterday after a doctor visit to set up surgery. I need to drill about 3 inches in on each side to get through the cam bearings and remove the swing arm from the frame. Starting with a small 1/8" drill bit and stepping up one size each time I am now over 3 inches in on each side and up to 15/32 drill bit and still have to go to 5/8 so I can get it off. If I do manage to get the swing arm out I might still have a major issue getting the rest of the bolt out of the engine case. This is by far the worst project I have ever encountered and I place the blame squarely on the wizards at Yamaha who designed these cam bearing to be metal in metal with no grease fittings to keep them lubricated. The new bearings made by DMO have plastic bushings between the bearing and swing arm metal and DMO designed these this way because this is a very common issue with the BW machines.

A few pictures are attached and I might have to do 2 posts to show them all.

GaryL

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1808.JPG
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Geez Gary, what a nightmare!

I've got no suggestions for you as you have already gone well beyond what I would have tried. This project may be at the point of extreme measures, with these being several that you might consider:

-Post it on craigslist
    -Split the swingarm in two by cutting through the "V" in the bottom of the picture below. This would allow you to lever/hammer one side up/down versus the other to see if you are able break things free. If this is successful, you would then be faced with either finding a replacement swingarm, or welding yours back togther again.
    -Take it on a one way cruise to the middle of a nearby lake (just kidding. . . . . . ?).

Thanks Brian. I don't give up easily. I finally drilled through and got the bolt out and the old cam bearings. Damn am I good! I didn't even break anything but my own ass. My hand and everything else are sore as hell from drilling a full day and a half but I feel much better having success.

GaryL

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Congratulations Gary, glad you were successful!

Installed a front hitch on my truck for carrier use when 5th wheel is on the rear. It's a Curt. Got it from Etrailer. Will do the trick.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Damn that tiller with all those attachments looks super handy for around the cabin.

IMG_1812.JPGIMG_1811.JPG

Finally finished the BW 350 as far as I am going with it except for the normal maintenance as I put some miles on it. Took it for about a 2 mile ride today between rain storms and the thing is a monster. I did not get on it too hard at all with my eye still seeing double but it is scary fast and ridiculous power.
    I had to run on a little pavement to get to my trail head and can tell you for sure these are not pavement bikes. Once you hit around 20 MPH on pavement the buzz from the big knobby tires makes you feel like there is something about to let lose. For the rear sprocket I went up to a 43 tooth from the stock 37 that had a little wear. Everything is either rebuilt with OEM parts and a new OEM Tank. It will take a bit of getting used to as it does handle way different than a TW and in the first 3 gears it wants to climb trees or do wheelies. I spent a small fortune getting it to this stage but I have wanted one of these for 30 years.

GaryL
    littletommy, Ken, TW-Brian and 3 others like this.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links