• 1 Post By Peterb
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By RaZed1
  • 1 Post By BUMBLESPECIMOODA
  • 4 Post By stagewex

Thread: Tapping for switched power

Junior Member farnorthwintercamper's Avatar

Tapping for switched power

Hey guys/gals. I am planning my build for my not yet delivered 2019 TW200.
    I plan to bring two ASE leads near my dash for future power needs. Cell phone,G.P.S. etc,
    I will be using automotive style relays, so I just need a switched power supply to trigger the relays.
    Can you recommend a good place to tap for power?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by farnorthwintercamper; 02-10-2019 at 08:22 AM.

The tail light would make a good trigger wire for the relays. I am about to do the same to my 15 and this time I plan to take my battery power at the starter relay instead of the battery and maybe tuck a relay and fuse under the right side panel.
    Ken likes this.

I usually bite-the-bullet and go directly to the battery on any bike I add accessory power. But there is big power at the starter too.
    Any other place where there is good power that shares with something else I've eventually had issues with later on.
    This is over many years of "Darn, I shouldn't have done that" and not specific to a TW. Don't want to be guessing what went wrong later on.

You can always add an auxiliary fuse box someplace as well if you gadget-crazy.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

While there are lots of key-on powered circuits around the steering stem things are already a little crowded with OEM wires there. I would use multimeter to find a similar switched circuit under the seat to trigger relay, mount relay under seat also with a short lead from battery and then send the protected switched power forward under tank to the two desired ASE plugs.
    If you upgrade to a lithium battery its smaller size creates lots of room in the battery box for this and future electrical projects.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Up near the handlebars the power to the front running lights is a convenient place for key switched power. For small power needs- i.e phone charger, GPS, a relay is not really necessary. A typical phone charger is only about 5 watts, adding less than 1/2amp of draw to the circuit. I've had a USB outlet powered off this to absolutely no ill effects.

For higher electrical loads like auxiliary lights, heated gear, ect, you will definitely want to use a relay on it's own circuit. The running light or tail light would just be the "trigger" wire for the relay.
    Peterb likes this.

OSHAWA, ONTARIO, FASCISTVILLE (I MEAN CANADA).
    I did similar. Toggle switches for USB charger, running light on the JNS unit, and one will be for an aux bush light. I wired directly to the battery, and made a 90-degree mount for the switches, and stuck it & the USB on my dash instrument thingy.

2019-02-11 15.38.31.jpg
    assquatch20 likes this.

Hey, that's a pretty nice/nifty set-up.
    The switches I've added over the years to various bikes have all been "Marine Rated" which means you're going to pay more for almost the same thing as what you'd buy in the auto parts store... sometimes meaningless.

For added protection they do sell these little prophylactic rubber covers that have a threaded nut inside of them that screw on and help protect. Better than rain pouring around and into them, no matter how waterproof they claim to be.
    Like $5.00 each or less. I think they are one-size fits all? You've probably seen them before. They do really work.

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3239.JPG
    Peterb, Darth, Miaugi and 1 others like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

You should have tried those covers with the cigars.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    The switches I've added over the years to various bikes have all been "Marine Rated" which means you're going to pay more for almost the same thing as what you'd buy in the auto parts store... sometimes meaningless.

For added protection they do sell these little prophylactic rubber covers that have a threaded nut inside of them that screw on and help protect. Better than rain pouring around and into them, no matter how waterproof they claim to be.
    Like $5.00 each or less. I think they are one-size fits all? You've probably seen them before. They do really work.

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3239.JPG
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

OSHAWA, ONTARIO, FASCISTVILLE (I MEAN CANADA).
    Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3239.JPG
    If you're ever questioning the moisture proofness of electronic devices, parts, etc; best to give'em a blast of Corrosion-X. I sprayed it inside the toggles I used, as well as every exposed connector, circuit board, light sockets, etc. on my TW200.

It's good stuff.

Sponosred Links