Sticky clutch question? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Sticky clutch question?

Me too....I mean yeah my 2015 has always been sticky when first started. Not every time but since I bought it it happens often. I believe the clutch plates get hot enough from the previous day for the oil to run off and when the bike sits cold the plates stick. It seems to me if you take longer in neutral to warm it and squeeze the clutch and roll the bike forward and back it can free the clutch plates.....Or maybe it was rolling forward and back in neutralwith engine running without squeezing the clutch...either way i sometimes break it free before it surprises me by taking off when I switch into 1st while still holding the clutch...lol
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 02-16-2019 at 03:25 PM.

all 3 of the bikes we bought are like this 2 are 2019's and one a new 2017

'tis normal. Just make sure clutch lever adjustment was not inadvertently set improperly during dealer assembly from the shipping crate. Clutch should be disengaged when lever is almost fully depressed. Adjustment is done with thumbwheel hidden under rubber cover at clutch lever.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

​since its a wet clutch, I'm thinking it has to do with cold oil, esp in winter weather
    2005 Tdub

I've also got a new 2019, does the same thing. I've got somewhere between 200-250 miles on it. Like others, if I let it warm up especially on half choke and give the clutch a couple of squeezes to encourage the plates to un-stick then it shifts into 1st smoothly......but it has surprised me a few times lurching into a stall!

A few revs with the clutch lever pulled in before you put in gear seems to work for me.

all 100% normal on any wet multi disc motorcycle clutch

this week I was starting Yamaha BW's that had not run for years and I have fun shifting into gear for the first time I rev the motor up and dump the clutch hoping to go for a pro stock motorcycle type launch but it's usually disappointing in that slightly higher RPM's when releasing the cold clutch lessens the "lurch" to pretty much zero

I have had a BW200 where the clutch stayed stuck for the first 10 minutes of riding but once soaked with oil it all freed up and worked as new again
    Willys714 likes this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Now that I’ve got some miles on my TW, I’m still having this problem... short of opening up any covers, thoroughly lubed the cable, lubed up the top of the push lever assembly, lubed clutch lever hinge area, changed out factory oil and filter, filled with yamalube 10w-40. It’s a 2019 and it’s not bad when it’s riding cold, after 10-15min of riding is when it starts getting noticeable, the longer I’m riding it gets more sticky, like immediate stall or come off the line super hard, kind of sticky....

Thoughts? Help! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TWBigBlake View Post
    Now that I’ve got some miles on my TW, I’m still having this problem... short of opening up any covers, thoroughly lubed the cable, lubed up the top of the push lever assembly, lubed clutch lever hinge area, changed out factory oil and filter, filled with yamalube 10w-40. It’s a 2019 and it’s not bad when it’s riding cold, after 10-15min of riding is when it starts getting noticeable, the longer I’m riding it gets more sticky, like immediate stall or come off the line super hard, kind of sticky....

Thoughts? Help! Lol
    A bit of a lurch on the first shift of the day isn't anything to worry about, but if it gets worse as you ride and is stalling the motor I'd be hauling it back to the dealer. That's not normal. Usually shifting gets smoother/easier as the oil warms up.

It's definitely something I have noticed on my 2019. I have just over 1300mi on my so far. I just pull the clutch in as I'm backing it out of my garage, and then let it out, then pull back in and move it forward a bit, then repeat back again. I don't have any issues after that.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DG Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links