Sticky clutch question?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Sticky clutch question?

Sticky clutch question?

Hi guys! I’m brand new to the forum and tw’s. I’ve always wanted one and bought new ‘19 model 2 weeks ago. Mine has 125 miles on it so far and I’ve noticed that if it sits cold for even a few hours often times I have to pull the clutch in and rock the bike to break the clutch plates loose before starting otherwise the bike will stall out whe I pull the clutch in and put it into first gear. I’ve never owned a new bike and wasn’t sure if this is normal or not. The clutch spring seems to be in the proper place and the free play is in spec. I’m using yamalube of that helps? Any thoughts?

My thoughts rather than mechanical advice is: bring it back to the dealer for them to take care of it. I don't know where you live because you didn't include that information in your signature line (you should) so don't know what you mean by "cold"? But when we had 3 to 11 degree weather/temperatures a couple weeks ago my bike started, ran and performed fine. It's a pretty stock 2006.
    My body, that's another story after only riding a mile or 2.

This is the second 2019 a new forum member had had issue with, a different issue. How the hell hard is it to for a dealer to prep one of these, they are so simple. It's a solution your dealer should be taking care of. When I do buy something new it isn't so I can learn to make it run. Don't let them off the hook. Concern could be if you do something to the bike and it's the wrong advice you maybe legally cutting them out of the responsibility picture.
    If it was a brand-new car would you start working on the transmission yourself?
    Good Luck.
    Darth likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

It's pretty normal depending on the severity and your definition of cold and what choke setting you have initially. If the clutch works normally when warmed up and doesn't grab then, it will take until you have 1,500 miles on it and can then switch to full synthetic Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W40. Meanwhile, hold the front brake and bring the revs up a bit over idle before engaging first when cold.

Other than making sure the clutch return spring is in the correct position there isn't much the dealer could have done wrong.

f3c133ce.jpg
    Donzo and Purple like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When cold my tw will jump into first even with the clutch pulled. Not enough to move the bike but you feel it load the drivetrain. This also means that the electric start won't start the bike if im in gear but have clutched pulled. I have to be in nuetral or kickstart it.
    Once warm it's hardly audible.
    Im using mobil synthetic.

That said, any bike I've ridden has done the same. This is just the first one with a pathetic starting system 🙂
    2001 TW

I have a new 2019 tw200 I got in November. It does the same thing(sticky clutch cold at any temp). Once warm it is fine. I can not push the bike if it is in gear. It acts like I am not pulling the clutch in and will slide the rear tire. Once warm it is fine pushing in gear with the clutch pulled.

My TW's had sticky clutches as you describe even with 20,000 plus miles on them. I switched to Barnett Kevlar clutches and never looked back. They cost twice as much and are worth it. However, on brand new bike I can only advise to grin and bear it. Its normal.
    Donzo and Willys714 like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Not that unusual for brand new bikes. The clutch just like everything else has to "break in". In cold weather especially, a heavy clunk/lurch that can even stall the motor isn't that uncommon. It should get better with time, but if it continues to do it warm or beyond the break in period, have the dealer investigate, might as well use the warranty. My Scout did that pretty badly out of the box, but after maybe 1000 miles the issue took care of itself and it'd roll around effortlessly in gear with the clutch pulled.
    grewen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZed1 View Post
    Not that unusual for brand new bikes. The clutch just like everything else has to "break in". In cold weather especially, a heavy clunk/lurch that can even stall the motor isn't that uncommon. It should get better with time, but if it continues to do it warm or beyond the break in period, have the dealer investigate, might as well use the warranty. My Scout did that pretty badly out of the box, but after maybe 1000 miles the issue took care of itself and it'd roll around effortlessly in gear with the clutch pulled.
    mine was just like this, did fix it's self
    Greg

2018 honda cb500x
    2018 honda crf250l
    2018 honda grom

Page 3-16 of the service manual shows how to check adjustment of the clutch push lever. That might be worth checking on a new bike.

it'll go away. My buddy's 2018 is like silk now it has 300km on it. Mine is freeing up with it's 40km on it. keep breaking in the bike. It will smoothen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links