Welp. Down a rim and a Terracross [emoji20]
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Welp. Down a rim and a Terracross [emoji20]

Welp. Down a rim and a Terracross 😞

Ok, so my plan was to mount the Terracross on my existing rim and then find a second rim (at some point) to mount the stock tire on and be able to swap whenever I wanted/needed. You may have seen my wanted ad in the classified section posted yesterday. Anyhow. Good plan. Terrible execution.

I removed stock tire from my rim in about 30 seconds. I was excited. Everything was smooth.

Tried to mount up the 26x8-14 Terracross and could not get it on the rim. No matter what spoons or tools I tried it did NOT want to go on that f$$%*n rim. So I felt I was pulling a bit too hard and decided to stop before I damaged the rim. Here is where it goes bad.

Took it to a guy that runs a small mc tire change place out of the back of his shop/home. I’m rural with little options and he has done a good job on some of my road bikes in the past. I dropped it off Friday. He calls me today and says “hey this tire won’t go on this rim right. If I use a larger tools/machine/force it may break the “tire””. At this point I’m thinking well if it breaks the tire I’ll be pissed but worst case scenario I’m out the price of the Terracross and I really wanted to try it.

Fast forward to tonight. The Terracross shredded and the rim is destroyed. Now I’m out any working and useable rim and tire, and Tdubless. He squared up with me, but...

Now what to do? I need a rim and a tire. I still have the stock tire but it’s kinda beat anyhow and I really want to try a 26x8-14 Terracross but I am afraid of spending $ on a new rim and having the tire get destroyed again, not to mention the crazy cost of a replacement rim.

Anyone selling a rear wheel, let me know. Anyone that wants to mount a new Terracross on a rim and sell it whole, I’ll gladly pay for that too.

Any help appreciated.

Tdubless in nice riding weather.
    Last edited by Sthrnromr; 02-18-2019 at 06:12 AM.
    Fred likes this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs (mainly)

Well, that really sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Well, that really sucks!
    Indeed. Very much so.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs (mainly)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ouch! Your experience reminds us sometimes these mods don't always go as planned. I spooned on my Ceros on both my stock TW rim and on my wife's trailer rim mod. On mine, once I got the tire on the rim I used the lube bead, inflate, let sit over heat and repeat method for a couple days before I finally was able to seat the bead on both side. I made an air hose extension so I was far back when inflating.

Wish I could help with parts or labor but I'm just a couple miles too far west to be of much help.
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I also had a TerraCross explode by a Motorcycle Shop although they were able to mount the tire. Since they did not listen to me, they put in 120psi and exploded the tire trying to set the bead (they got 1 bead to set). Saturday I went to a different shop and asked them to get me another TerraCross, mount it, then give it to me and I will set the beads. This tire has a tube in it...I didn't know if you were trying tubeless or not. I'm suppose to get it back Tuesday or Wednesday this week..so I won't know until then if they had trouble spooning the tire on or not.
    Fred and Sthrnromr like this.
    2015 TW200
    2009 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    2009 Buell 1125R
    1985 Honda 350X

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I spooned on my Ceros on both my stock TW rim and on my wife's trailer rim mod.
    WOW! Kris; you do know that Lori reads these things.

How is she going to react now, after finding out ---- that you've been SPOONING with both your Ceros on your TW rim; and her Ceros on her Trailer rim mod?

Be compassionate Lori. After all; he is only A MAN!
    Trail Woman and admiral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old350xGuy View Post
    I also had a TerraCross explode by a Motorcycle Shop although they were able to mount the tire. Since they did not listen to me, they put in 120psi and exploded the tire trying to set the bead (they got 1 bead to set). Saturday I went to a different shop and asked them to get me another TerraCross, mount it, then give it to me and I will set the beads. This tire has a tube in it...I didn't know if you were trying tubeless or not. I'm suppose to get it back Tuesday or Wednesday this week..so I won't know until then if they had trouble spooning the tire on or not.
    Yeah I am not sure exactly what happened. I told him not to to try and seat the bead, but I think he did anyhow. I used a tube. Also the rim was bent. I tried to hammer it (mallet) it back out but I only made it worse. The rim is now definitely shot. Finding a used one is not proving easy. Best of luck. Next time I drive the extra time for a proper shop I suppose. Maybe I was also just a bit unlucky this time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs (mainly)

Crap, that sucks. At least the guy got back in touch about the risk. I spooned (or tried to spoon on) a K37 Heidenau on one of my Russian Ural steel rims. The rim held up. The tire cut itself making it a very expensive piece of worthless rubber. These are extremely solid side walled tires and I shouldn't have tried to install like any others before. Since then I've probably done 3 of them but take my time with lots of lube, powder, clamps, 3-4 spoons.

I understand the tire shredding, what happened to the rim? Can you just get a new one and have your hub laced?
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    I understand the tire shredding, what happened to the rim? Can you just get a new one and have your hub laced?
    Rim came back bent. I tried to straighten, it only got worse. I suppose I could, although I don't usually lace those myself and have very limited options here. "May" be easier to find a new/used rim somewhere. Either way I am pretty frustrated and SOL right now.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs (mainly)

Maybe have a custom rim made to fit the ATV tire. Use the TW center part of the wheel. Keep the brakes and sprocket mount. Expensive. Buy once, cry once. Hopefully trouble free. You are already out a another (new?) wheel and tire -- apply that money to a new custom rim.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links