Replacing steering head bearings!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rode the black widow to my shop to remove front wheel and send it to local motorcycle shop for replacement of front tire/tube from old stock tire to Shinko sr244 that seems to be a favorite on this forum. Noticed steering felt funny and sure enough has a notchy type feeling when turn either way from straight ahead. Found Rainman's write up with pics (thanks Rainman!) in Tech section so I'll be doing that and replacing stiff fuel petcock. Spring is right around the corner so time to get the TW ready to ride!
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Are you going to use new tapered roller bearing or just lube up your original ones?

If you buy new roller bearings remember that the freezer is your friend when it comes to putting the bearing on the stem. Disassemble, clean everything, then stick stem in freezer while you remove old and install new races in the frame.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Thanks, going with new tapered roller bearing set.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by importmech View Post
    Thanks, going with new tapered roller bearing set.

Very nice. Take your time and have fun.

1990 TW200

I put the tapered bearing set from procycle in.... it does make a positive difference.

If you go with the tapered bearings do you still need to freeze the stem ???????????? Thanks OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by omm View Post
    If you go with the tapered bearings do you still need to freeze the stem ???????????? Thanks OMM.

You don't have to. It just makes installation easier. I've done it both ways. When I did my Dad's TW, I didn't freeze the stem so I had to hammer on the bearing with many hammer strikes. No big deal, it just took some force. When I did my TW, I froze the stem and three or four solid whacks and the hammer and the bearings was on. The stem was only in the freezer for maybe 30 minutes, but longer is better.

1990 TW200

Stem in the freeze and the races on a hot plate. They pretty much just fall into place. Also make sure you reroute your cables the correct way. Takeing things back apart is a pain.

freezer and hot plate good advice. Decided to put handle bar risers on while I'm at it. I'm 6'2" and hunching over while standing is a pain. What everything think? 2 inch risers?

I ordered new steering head bearings literally a year ago, just hadn't gotten "a round tuit". But just read Rainman's how-to and figure I need to quit putting it off. My steering is pretty horrible. I figured out how bad it was since my wife has an '87 TW with beautiful steering. She won't even ride mine. haha... So, here I go. Wish me luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links