TW200 that don't have ethanol problem?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: TW200 that don't have ethanol problem?

Question TW200 that don't have ethanol problem?

I'm looking at getting a TW200 and I have an older DRZ with a terrible ethanol problem. I ride in California. The DRZ will get so crudded up that the carb has to be rebuilt.

Are there newer model years of the TW200 that handle the ethanol-gas better? I see some posts on how to handle it, but not so much on how to avoid it....
    jtomelliott49 and Darth like this.

Simple answer: NO

Avoidance? 1) Ride frequently to consume ethanol laced fuel before it ages excessively
    2) Avoid ethanol laced fuels, especially when storing bike for some time. Research websites like TrueGas for ethanol free fuel vendors near you.TruFuel Performance Fuel | Pre-Mixed & Ethanol Free Fuel‎

Adwww.trufuel50.com/
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks. I am thinking just get a new fuel jug and buy some no-ethanol gas to fill the bike up at home. I don't ride that often, I'd have to put Stabil in the jug, but thats no big deal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Motosaurus, and welcome to the forum!

From my personal experience, TW's are much less sensitive to the problem that you have described with your DRZ. I had a 2006 DRZ400SM that would give me fits if it wasn't started and ridden regularly (i.e., every week or so). My TW's can go for months without riding and will always start. I have more battery problems than carb problems, which is why I have installed a kicker on all of my TW's. (I also installed a kicker on my DRZ, but my leg was never strong enough to kickstart it reliably ).
    I got rid of my DRZ.

Where are you at in California!

Welcome to the forum from WI. Shutting off the fuel and letting it run all the fuel out of the float bowl has worked well for me. I also add a little Seafoam to every tank full.
    Purple, Darth, goldenhtr and 1 others like this.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

TW-Brian I am in Santa Barbara. You?
    Thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by motosaurus View Post
    Thanks. I am thinking just get a new fuel jug and buy some no-ethanol gas to fill the bike up at home. I don't ride that often, I'd have to put Stabil in the jug, but that's no big deal.
    That is exactly what I do. When traveling, I carry 8 oz. of StarTron. Since two 6 gallon jugs of gas will last two weeks of camping and riding, I have rarely used it. For the winter, I top up with 87 Non Ethanol in November and 2 oz. of Stabil. Bike starts right up in March. Non Ethanol gas will not degrade much in 3-4 months.
    Darth likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

You're in a nice area! I am up north in the SF Bay area.

Add your locale to your profile, there may be some fellow forum members nearby in case you have any questions or want to take a TW for a spin before you commit to buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by motosaurus View Post
    I'm looking at getting a TW200 and I have an older DRZ with a terrible ethanol problem. I ride in California. The DRZ will get so crudded up that the carb has to be rebuilt.

Are there newer model years of the TW200 that handle the ethanol-gas better? I see some posts on how to handle it, but not so much on how to avoid it....
    When putting your TW up after a ride, turn off gas while running, when it dies park it with gas off. Seems to work for me.

I had my carb die cause of ethanol-gas when I lived in SoCal, after rebuild I always run it dry before parking it overnight or longer.

Don't forget to turn gas back on to start it! Almost killed my battery one time when I swore to myself I had turned the gas back on LOL.

There's noting wrong with ethanol but I'm saying that because where I live I have no choice. When I have the opportunity I'll use ethanol-free when it's available. Main thing to do is ride and run your engine/bike. The turning off your petcock is a good idea if you've got the time for a TW's carbs to actually drain. There are other good reasons for doing that as well.

You don't have to drive every day or even every week. But running is better than sitting. My oldest bike is buried 5 motorcycles back in my garage. That bike is filled to the brim with ethanol-free because I knew it would not be used more than once a month over the Winter. The others are run at least 4-5-6 times a month and have gas & seafoam. I have not had any problems with any including the TW over the last 3 years.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links