High Speed Miss
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: High Speed Miss

High Speed Miss

I swapped another head onto one of my TW's. I had "hogged out" the exhaust port for better breathing and hopefully resulting in more power, speed and economy. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. It missed badly at WOT and wouldn't go over 60mph. The weather got cold and wet so I put it all away for the last 2 or 3 months.

Flash forward to the present. Dry weather for a little while and slightly warmer temps and I got the TW out. She starts and runs well going up and down the street. She easily wheelies. But head out to the expressway and the miss was still there. I played with the jetting, the spark plugs, I tried a different carb, I drained the gas and put in fresh gas. No improvement. I went to clean the air filter and found this:
    P8170062.JPG
    I had to fish it out of the garbage for the picture. I replaced with a brand new one. Rotten as could be. How does that happen? Ethanol?

Then I decided to check the camshaft chain timing marks and sure enough the timing was off one tooth. How could that be? I was very careful. I removed the tension thingy and then reexamined things and now the marks lined up. So long story short I moved the chain over one tooth, went for a test ride, and now all is well and I can get back to tuning this TW to beat any 225 or 250 out there. HA HA!

Soooo...... lesson is those marks have to line up when there is tension on the chain, not when the chain is hanging floppy loose.
    TW-Brian, Ken, joeband and 3 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Ken
    My filter looked like that a couple of times. Anything other than motor oil seems to eat them up at least for me. I tried [email protected] oil and it ate it up. I currently have a UNI filter. How did that top end run after the new filter and correct timing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    My filter looked like that a couple of times. Anything other than motor oil seems to eat them up at least for me. I tried [email protected] oil and it ate it up. I currently have a UNI filter. How did that top end run after the new filter and correct timing?
    I did use K&N oil on the filter. Maybe that did it. As for running, it ran fine though I think I can lean it out a little bit. I will leave it like it is for now but in the future I am sure I will experiment.
    Tweaker and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

high speed miss? i had a GF like that once...

i hate to admit it, but elime's fancy pants 214cc can take my 226cc to town.
    hats off to you tony!
    Ken likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    high speed miss? i had a GF like that once...

i hate to admit it, but elime's fancy pants 214cc can take my 226cc to town.
    hats off to you tony!
    Thanks Joe.

I thought of your TW -- you never know until you check so take a look at the camshaft timing marks on your bike. Make sure they are right.

K&N oil is probably best suited for cotton filters.
    Better use oil from foam filter manufacturers, like UniFilter,Pipercross,etc.
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

No Toil. Been using if for years, OEM filter lasted 6 years and was still OK, just replaced it because it started to tear when wringing it out.

YamTW87 likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Hello,
    Install a KN filter YA-2002 and no more problem,
    It is washable does not break down

https://www.knfiltres.com/air-filters/powersports/ya-2002-replacement-air-filter
    CJ7Pilot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I did use K&N oil on the filter. Maybe that did it. As for running, it ran fine though I think I can lean it out a little bit. I will leave it like it is for now but in the future I am sure I will experiment.
    i read a warning somewhere, not to use K&N oil on any foam filters
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I've been using the K&N Air Filter Oil on OEM TW200 air filters for years without noting adverse affects. While aware the marketing for this product states it was "optimized" for their cotton pleated filters I was unaware it was proscribed for synthetic filters. The matching K&N air filter cleanser did seem to be linked to a degrading TW air filter once so I discontinued its use.
    Thanks for the info. I had assumed the "optomised" was another of those "Buy only our product and lots of it" marketing schemes....like the Youtube video put out by Yamaha where they direct the consumer to use most of a quart of Yamalube 's air filter oil on a single filter.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links