No Oil
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: No Oil

No Oil

I recently bought a 2017 TW with 500 miles on it. The previous owner had just changed the oil (and I believe he did). I then road the bike in half hour increments and put on another 250 miles. The bike seemed to run great no smoke ... no problems at all. Yesterday while trying to learn how to wheelie the bike I felt it loosing power, so I checked the oil level and saw no oil in the window. . I then proceeded to add 3/4 of a quart of oil. My question is, does the TW burn oil on a regular basis or is something wrong with this bike? After adding the oil, it started up and sounded good, but I did not ride it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To me the probability of the previous owner adding incorrect volume of oil seems greater than the probability that a 2017 with 500 miles can make 3/4 of a liter of oil disappear without obvious signs of burning or leakage.
    I believe mysterious & serious oil consumption is a rarity, even on a 500 mile bike.
    If you did not personally note a correct oil level prior to your rides you unfortunately do not have a valid initial data point to draw any conclusions from yet.
    I would recommend collecting some fresh data; note current oil level and the method/ angle/location that you used to measure. Then ride a lot more and periodically note any changes in oil lever using same method, angle of the bike, and location where it is parked and measured. It does make a difference with these tiny sump engines.
    I believe the results might just indicate an inadequate initial oil level at time of purchase.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

My suggestion is dump the oil, check the filter, then check the filter again and make sure it is OEM with 4 holes and facing the right direction. Clean filter, fill with oil and use the oil seepage screw to verify oil is properly flowing to the head. And while you're at it, make sure that screw is not missing.

TL;DR Change the oil again from scratch using documented procedures and careful inspection of oil filter used and installation. Use this thread for reference if needed. --> https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...r-own-oil.html

Honestly it is a cheap, quick and easy thing to do on these bikes, and if I bought a 2017 with 500 miles on it, I would do it just to be sure it was done right. My 2 cents.

Congrats on picking up a great bike!
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the response. I will do a complete oil change before the weekend and check regularly in the future. I am not sure the previous owner took in for the initial service and I understand the valve gap's are checked in this process. I plan on checking this also before my next ride, but do you think this could cause the bike to burn oil? Also, what is the likelihood I did serious damage to the bike by riding it with a low oil level?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCG View Post
    Thanks for the response. I will do a complete oil change before the weekend and check regularly in the future. I am not sure the previous owner took in for the initial service and I understand the valve gap's are checked in this process. I plan on checking this also before my next ride, but do you think this could cause the bike to burn oil? Also, what is the likelihood I did serious damage to the bike by riding it with a low oil level?
    I would venture to guess the bike is fine. Change the oil, fire it up and see how it rides. Highly unlikely you damaged anything. Let us know how it goes.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

At the very least going through the oil change procedure is a good way to learn about, and get comfortable with, servicing your own bike. It is not difficult and you get peace of mind that it was done right. And yes, beware the incorrectly boxed oil filters that lack the four holes, there are unbelievably still some of them out there in the parts supply stream.

P.S. WELCOME DMCG!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

At the very least going through the oil change procedure is a good way to learn about, and get comfortable with, servicing your own bike. It is not difficult and you get peace of mind that it was done right. And yes, beware the incorrectly boxed oil filters that lack the four holes, there are unbelievably still some of them out there in the parts supply stream.

P.S. WELCOME DMCG!.... and a link for some downloadable service manuals, make sure to get the Supplement as it includes some changes made since 2001 relevant to your bike.https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...r-manuals.html
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

all good advise on getting to know your bike through oil changes. you may not have done any damage to the motor by running low on oil, but since the motor started to slow down and the first thing to run dry is the cam bearings, there is alwas a chance for problems in the future. good practice to check the oil every day, only takes a minute. also, fully break the engine and gear box in before abusing it doing wheels
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully everything is ok. Good advice here. I’ll add...

Pre-Ride Checklist

Quick exam for oil and gas leaks
    Check oil sightglass
    If your clutch normally sticks (bike dies when you put into 1st gear) push bike a few feet with clutch pulled and bike in 1st gear
    Start bike and let warm up, while...
    Check tire pressures
    Run finger across all spokes
    Check chain slack and masterlink

Enjoy your ride

Can add many other important steps. This takes me a few minutes while the bike warms up.
    Sthrnromr and Miaugi like this.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will let you know how it goes after the oil change. But suppose I did seize the engine is the bike toast? Or could I send the engine out to be rebuilt?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links