• 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By Xaman
  • 1 Post By Sthrnromr
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 4 Post By Xaman
  • 2 Post By Sthrnromr

Thread: Clutch Install

Clutch Install

Hey guys. Put my kickstarter kit on yesterday, and it works however, I now have no clutch, lol. Basically no pressure on the clutch lever.

I just tried to reinstall the opposite of tear down of the clutch. But looking today at the installation instructions I see reference to a “ball” next to the pushrod. I don’t recall seeing a ball!

I didn’t pay any attention to adjusting the clutch, so tomorrow morning I’m taking it apart again, planning to adjust the clutch per service manual.

But after reading the service manual I’m nervous about not seeing a ball. Any thoughts?

2013 model if that matters.

You may have dropped the ball
    joeband and Miaugi like this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!
    05-BMW1200GS- Rock Red 106k miles
    2013-TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 5k- miles

Yes, there is a small ball bearing that goes between the adjustment screw in the center of the clutch holding plate and the clutch actuation rod that runs through the center of the main drive shaft of the transmission. It is possible that when you removed the clutch holding plate this ball bearing came out and rolled away without you noticing it. Without this ball in place, the symptoms that you describe will result.
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 03-14-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Badgerflorida, Miaugi and Fred like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Bummer. New intel though, after watching a video, I realize I never pulled the clutch actuation rod, only the adjustment screw (which I thought was the rod, but was only about 2” long). I did all this on the side stand, therefore leaning up slightly. is it possible that the bearing stayed put while I removed everything? If so, is it possible to have the symptoms of no clutch pressure on the lever just from a failure to adjust the adjustment screw?

basically I’m trying to decide if I should go back in tomorrow, or wait a week until I get a bearing ordered...

thanks for the help fellas. I’m a learning, and lessons like this are sticky.
    Sthrnromr likes this.

If you never pulled that rod out the ball is still in there. However, I suspect your clutch is not adjusted or even close. When you adjust and turn the screw you’ll see the lever and tension move. Now, don’t over adjust and get the lever too tight, as your clutch will slip. Don’t ask me how I know. Tdubs like a little slop.
    Badgerflorida likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

I have installed about a dozen kickers and have never touched that adjustment screw in the center of the clutch plate.

So, if your clutch was working before installing the kicker, and you didn't touch that adjustment screw, then I'd say you must have dropped the ball.

If you did remove, or adjust that screw, then it possible that the ball is still in place and you just failed to reset that adjustment screw.

Either way, you've got to go back in there.

I definitely removed the adjuster screw (guess I didn’t have to, but I thought it was the push rod and the service manual said to remove it...).

I went back in, and seems everything is good. I set the adjustment screw and now I have a working clutch. ... and a Kicker. Whew.

Thanks all, she’s ready for a test ride tomorrow.

I did the same thing but I put in a new clutch and springs while I was in there and definitely removed the screw. Glad you got it sorted.
    Miaugi and Xaman like this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Sponosred Links