Clutch life span? - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Clutch life span?

Agreed. I've never had the slightest problem with the OEM clutch on two TWs in 18,000 miles. Never had it slip under any conditions. I guess Razed1 rides very differently than I do.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Clutch arrived. I think that's the last of the parts I was waiting on, just need some good weather.

Also, I now have 4 extra sets of clutch springs...
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

So ~200mi later, haven't touched the clutch, the oil, or anything else, and it's behaving fine. Still going to put the Barnett in when I do the kickstarter, mostly because it's sitting here. The only condition I haven't replicated since the weird slipping incident is the duration of the ride. Just haven't had a chance to get out for more than an hour or two.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Got the clutch swapped out yesterday. A few things worth mentioning.

I don't know if it was a bad batch of bolts or what, but when reinstalling the springs one of the bolts (90159–05011) snapped like it was made of cheese. I was using a torque wrench, not manhandling it at all, barely even got it seated before it sheared right off. Fortunately the threaded holes they go into run completely through the clutch boss, and I was able to stick it on the mill with standard right hand twist drill bit at very low speed (I don't have any lefties that small) and got it to back right out without damaging the threads. Picked up a new set of four bolts out of concern for the originals being from a bad batch and it's all back together.

After talking with the parts guy up at the shop while picking up bolts, he mentioned having tried the Barnett HD springs on his TW and switched back to OEM because the HD springs pretty much killed the ability to feather the clutch. That's something I didn't want to lose, so I took that advice and put the Barnett plates in with the OEM springs. After a proper adjustment at all three points (both ends of the cable and the center adjuster on the pressure plate), it feels better than it ever has since I've owned it.

So on to the slipping. I don't think it was the friction plates, clutch plates, or the pressure plate. That center adjuster was very tight, and I think a combination of that and the long ride where I worked it pretty hard lined up to cause some slippage. Either way, happy to have it working like it is now, feels nice, feels smooth.

`09 TW200

Hidden Content

Of note, I also snapped one clutch bolt when using proper torque. It also felt like it was made of a substance like modeling clay. I replaced all bolts with new ones. They are garbage. As for the Barnett springs, I like the way they feel and have no issues feathering when the need arises. It just feels a bit different to get used to. Anyhow, glad you got it all sorted and it’s working the way you like. Cheers.
    Darth and nihil like this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

I have a bike with only 800Miles and I am having issues with my clutch. I am going to take cover off and see if adjusting the "center adjuster" does anything. I will let you know how this goes.
    Sthrnromr likes this.

While you're in there, also check that none of the four the spring/clamp bolts around the center have snapped from a light breeze. You might not need it at 800mi, but I'd pick up a gasket for the cover as well, just in case. I didn't need the left side when I did the front sprocket at 1k-2kmi, but at 5k my right side needed one for sure.
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

Clutch should last forever, especially on a low horsepower bike
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!
    05-BMW1200GS- Rock Red 106k miles
    2013-TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 5k- miles

The clutch bolts are made out of cheese, and the torque spec for them is way more than necessary. Screw them in by hand, grip the ratchet head between your knuckles, and just give each one a gentle oomph (technical term, look it up) to seat. The spring tension serves as a locking element, they need very minimal torque.

Also keep in mind that if you're using a big 3/8 or 1/2" torque wrench, they're not accurate at the far low end of their scale. You can spin the adjuster down to zero and it still won't click until 10 or 15 ft-lbs, or way more than necessary to break those. I saw this quite often working at the dealer- someone was trying to "do it right" and use a torque wrench on every tiny little screw they touch and end up breaking most of them, since they're using a 3/8 to try and set like 10 inch-lbs and wondering why everything broke. Even if you have a tiny inch-lbs wrench, torque specs for these bolts are often way excessive and they yield or break before you reach it anyway. I trust my hand over the book in those cases.

I used the Vesrah HD clutch springs on the stock clutch and noticed no difference in clutch "feel"- it's still perfectly easy to modulate. Maybe a smidge more lever effort, not enough I noticed it after about the first 30 seconds.
    Donzo and Willys714 like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponosred Links