Skid plate on a TW
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Skid plate on a TW

Skid plate on a TW

Hello fellow TWers, I am looking into changing the OEM soda pop can Skid plate for one that is a little more robust. I have heard of people installing the brand Ricochet that seems to be appreciated... But there's something about the noise of the engine reflecting off the skid plate being kinda annoying... Does anyone here have one installed on their bike or does anyone have an other brand to recommend?

Thanks!
    Miaugi and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tw200quebec View Post
    Hello fellow TWers, I am looking into changing the OEM soda pop can Skid plate for one that is a little more robust. I have heard of people installing the brand Ricochet that seems to be appreciated... But there's something about the noise of the engine reflecting off the skid plate being kinda annoying... Does anyone here have one installed on their bike or does anyone have an other brand to recommend?

Thanks!
    I have a Ricochet and never noticed a sound change whatsoever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

I had the same question. After installing the Ricochet I have noticed no difference in sound.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quite a few of us have the Ricochet skid plate which bolts directly to frame and engine.
    OEM skid plate is not that bad, only marginally less coverage than the aftermarket guard but has the really superior feature of rubber isolation which reduces noise. More importantly that rubber isolation extends the time duration of impacts lessening peak accelerations to bike and rider after a significant blow. Unlike me I don't think many have experienced side by side comparisons of just how well the stock skid plate does absorbing and reducing the transmittal of impact stresses compared to a Ricochet when both a given identical blows with a club. I wish Ricochet had put as much engineering expertise as Yamaha did in the design of their mounting system.
    Other options include OEM skidplates from other models. One of my TWs has a larger skidplate from an XT350 which also features rubber isolation mounting. It works well. Discontinued TCI skidplates can occasionally be found used listed right next to unicorn horns.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Likewise no change in noise/sound noticed after Ricochet install, got mine from PlacerLode on the forum here and can't say enough good things about him:

IMG_1471.JPG IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG IMG_1475.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Tw200quebec View Post

Thanks!
    I think it does reflect noise. I heard more tappet or timing chain noise. I spayed mine with truck liner. Not sure if it made a difference or not. Either way, I'm used to it now. It has taken some big hits, and think it was a good purchase for where I ride.

As a note. Best price for a Ricochet in Canada that I found was Gnarlyparts. Ricochet Offroad Skid Plate I see it went up in price though.

PlacerLode doesn't ship to Canada.
    Last edited by NorthernSpy; 03-18-2019 at 01:50 PM.

I'm in the "it makes or deflects more noise" crowd section. Sometimes I hear things which make me take pause but then I remember the skid plate deflection.
    grewen and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

X001.jpgX001-Y036.jpgX016-Y030.jpg

an option I was considering was installing some slots or holes in the Ricochet when I attach some sides.
    it seems very stout an I don't feel personally that it would weaken it much.

... that would deflect some of the tin harmonics, plus I'll add some compression rubber to the mounting hardware
    admiral and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2018 TW200 just purchased used with only 30 off road miles.
    also have Honda GL500 GL650 CX650 … another great forum like this.

I've got an MSR on mine and placed a couple of closed cell foam blocks between it and the crankcase. No more reflected noise. Also mines taken some pretty good hits from Tennessee rocks with no damage.

I like the looks of the ricochet, but there are some things I don't care for about it. I don't like that there are no breather holes to help cool, and I would like one built from 1/4" or 1/8" stainless. I'm an overkill kinda guy. I'm a fabricator, and I've been brainstorming how I could make the design better, I will post some pics when I get it done.
    Miaugi and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links