Close

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 2 Post By Darth
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 4 Post By Catman Du

Thread: Newb Hand Guard help please!

Newb Hand Guard help please!

Hey everyone, I purchased a set of the Tusk D-Flex handguards, thinking they seemed popular, affordable, easy to install, etc. i didn't have any problems installing hand guards on my old KLR, BUT, when i started digging in, i'm baffled by what appears to be large aluminum plugs sticking out of the ends of the handlebars. I believe the bike is stock, (except for the CycleRack rear rack & AGM battery i already installed), appears to be stock handlebars, grips, etc. Is this normal? Do I have to replace the bars themselves to install handguards? (i wouldn't think so) I don't want to just saw them off, as the remainder of the plug would still be there. They don't appear to be threaded or have an allen bolt deep inside. Could someone please share what I'm missing and/or what the trick is? (i'll wait til after you finish laughing at the newb, i can take it) Thanks!

It sounds to me that the bars on your bike may not be stock or may have previously had handguards installed and you are dealing with some leftover hardware in the ends of the handlebars.

Pics would help us figure out what you are dealing with.

Thanks, that could be a possibillty for sure. I was able to get some pics today, hope they post ok. DSC_0048.JPGDSC_0050.JPG

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah those slugs on the end look like bar ends for handguards or something. You'll need them out of the way or maybe you can use them.

Ok, thanks! I'll see what I can do to remove them, i was just worried about mangling the bars before hardly riding it and figured I'd reach out to some experienced folks to see what i was dealing with. The bolts that came with the new guards feel like they're maybe catching a thread or two at the bottom of the hole, didn't seem like enough to use safely. Assuming if i take them out, use the Tusk inserts w/new guards, the grips will roll back over ok or do you think i'll need to get the grips pushed further onto the bars to not have a soft spot on the ends?

Hey, Cat...
    It looks like a mechanic's "slide hammer" might work, if it could be threaded into the ends of the inserts. Or attached some other way.
    Looks like they are expensive but you could probably rent them at at a tool rental or auto parts store.

Welcome to the forum!
    Peterb and jtstdub like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

I believe you are looking at end of one of common expanding collet styles typically used for handguard mounting. If so you want to push, not pull, to either separate collet halves like in attached photo, or push the expanding pug further in further into the handlbar and hopefully out of the annular sleeve you are seeing protruding from the bar. i.e. get a nail, rod, drift,bolt, whatever that fits into the hole and tap in in to separate expanding halves of the collet thus freeing up the assembly.
    Whatever the style once loose the pieces can be fished out in prep for new guard installation.MSR-DFLECTOR-HANDGUARD-BLACK.jpg
    More closeups of expanding bar ends: Expansion-screws-1-1-8-Motorcycle-7-8-22mm-Hand-Guard-Handguards-Fat-Clamp-Mount-Kit.jpg_640x640.jpgmount.jpeg
    Last edited by Fred; 03-20-2019 at 10:57 PM.
    Darth, Miaugi and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Another option if you haven't already tried is to try to rotate it out with vice grips but Fred's suggestion does make more sense if you can push in the second half to separate and loosen.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

If those indeed are hand guard anchors and not some sort of home-made weights I wonder why someone would leave them in there? Weird.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner! Hats off to Miagi, lol. Thanks everyone for your help. I tried the vise grip idea before coming back on here to see his post, but will give credit to a like mind... took my largest pair and they came out so easily I'm almost embarrassed that I asked for help. I'm just not used to all the off-road bike stuff yet and wasn't sure what i was looking at. They twisted out w/o too much effort and i was able to get the other parts out from inside. Hoping putting on my Tusk ones will go smoothly this weekend.

Sponosred Links