Is something going on with the gas?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Is something going on with the gas?

Is something going on with the gas?

I just noticed the last few rides that my bikes all of a sudden are running rich? Are they messing with gas formulas again? I am riding in the same areas, the same temps etc. Now I will have to readjust all my carbs but I don't want to do it again in another month or so if they mess with the gas again.

GOF
    Summer formula fuels are starting to hit the tanks. No idea if that is what's messing with your rides. But if it is it happens spring and fall.
    Ken likes this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GOF View Post
    Summer formula fuels are starting to hit the tanks. No idea if that is what's messing with your rides. But if it is it happens spring and fall.
    A couple of articles on the subject:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ence-13747431/
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ine-explained/
    Fred, GOF and Ken like this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good info.

Ken - the Popular Mechanics article specifically mentions Houston as one of the metro areas that mess with gas blends.
    BillMichaels, Elvesus, GOF and 1 others like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

GOF
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Good info.

Ken - the Popular Mechanics article specifically mentions Houston as one of the metro areas that mess with gas blends.
    It is rather more complicated than some particular city specifying a standard. While true that some large metropolitan areas with large, crowded populations do have their own requirements it is also true that everywhere has to deal with this. In modern electronic controlled engines the average driver won't notice the change. But on small engines with mechanical fuel systems (carburetor) There is little feedback control of mixture. No computer masking the changes. So it is possible that you will notice the change on a TW. Part of the blending of fuels also includes the addition of oxygen containing compounds. These compounds can also change the mixture requirements of your bike.
    Most of us don't generally ride year round. And even on those few out of season excursions we are generally not pushing limits. So the effects of fuel blend changes are blamed on it being too damn cold to ride anyways.
    Wow! I ramble don't I. Sorry about that. I'm no expert. Just sharing what I've heard when dad owned a gas station.
    Ken and Elvesus like this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Thanks for the info. I have noticed particular brands seem to effect performance as well. Maybe some months I need to jump around. I know it sounds crazy and I wouldn't have never believed it. For example, I have only hit 70 mph with Chevron. I don't know why. Here in Houston I usually run Valero or Exon. Why I tend to like Valero is that it was the only one which never pinged when I upped the compression years ago in my Nova. Unless I up the compression like Elime it probably isn't really necessary in a stock TW.
    Elvesus likes this.

GOF
    Most local stations get their fuel from the same regional distributor. Each brand has it's own additive package that is combined with the fuel right before it's trucked to the station. Different combinations of 'detergents' and such. The basic fuel is all the same. You could probably research your local brands and find out where their fuel comes from.
    Could all be in my head. But I feel my Suzuki Savage runs better on ethanol free. While it is slightly higher octane I know I don't have the compression to require that. I attribute it to the lack of ethanol which has less energy per volume that real petroleum gas. I try to always top off the tank at the local station that has a dedicated dispenser for it.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

i'm really surprised to hear they would mess around with gas blends way down south where there is hardly any freezing. must be a cash grab for the oil companies
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I would suggest using only the ethanol free gas- works for me. Cleaner- Just expensive, but then again- how many gals at a time are we using.
    GOF likes this.

"Just expensive, but then again- how many gals at a time are we using." -Having a harem can get expensive.
    Kayak likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links