Neutral light not working
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Neutral light not working

Neutral light not working

What's up guys? Just had a question on the neutral light. Anyone else ever had issues with this? Mine works sporadically, and it seems like lately it's not at all. I checked it with a test light and I think I understand how it works. It seems like when you're in neutral the switch goes to ground and the light turns on, but I was having trouble tracing the wire to wherever the switch it. Pardon my stupidity, I'm a new Tdub owner of about 3 weeks and it's also my first bike ever. Thanks for any help you can give me!

The first thing that I would do is check the light bulb in the instrument panel to ensure that it is not burned out, these bulbs never last very long for me which is why I typically replace them with LED's.

The neutral switch, and connecting wire, are located inconveniently under the left side engine cover.

Intermittent bulb illumination might just be a loose bulb if bike starter motor still engages normally.
    If starter motor will only engage if clutch lever is pulled in then it is the switch that is operating intermittently. Or an intermittent open circuit in the intervening wiring , possibly where wires go under left side cover.
    Switch can be removed and possibly it and terminals cleaned and made to work again.
    If you remove left cover the bolts are many different lengths. Make yourself a cardboard template shaped like cover, then punch holes to hold bolts in proper location one at a time as you remove them. Use an impact driver with JIS bit if cover secured with JIS screws. Hopefully you will have hex head bolts.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Are you sure you're in neutral? It can be hard to find as it's really a short throw up from first gear. Make sure you can roll the bike, that you're actually in neutral before you decide the light's not working.

Step one is to determine conditions of starter motor operation as described in post #3. i.e. with bike in neutral when neutral light is not illuminated will starter motor turn over and engine fire, or does clutch lever need to be also pulled in? This will tell if problem is simply the bulb in the dash, or faulty wiring/ misbehaving neutral switch.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Ok, thanks for the advice, I am positive I'm in neutral, I have already checked the bulb, so its neither of those things, I will try the clutch thing next, guess I never thought about it cause it's just force of habit. If it won't start with the clutch out and in neutral I will continue with the tearing apart of the left cover, and searching for a faulty wire.

Figured you knew enough to be in neutral, no worries.
    So if the clutch must be pulled in, and side stand up for the starter motor to engage even though the bike is in neutral then the neutral switch circuit seems to be not grounding out. Thus the bike thinks it is in gear. So you then have to defeat those other safety interlocks to start. If so it is likely due to the neutral switch itself not grounding , or there is an open circuit due to loose terminal, pinched wire, corroded switch terminal, etc.
    Since the problem was reported initially to be intermittent and now is more frequent I would check the switch and terminal connection. This means opening the left side cover with attendant recommended inspection and replacement if needed of the gasket and occasionally the output shaft bearing and seals unless you want to chase down switch's leads & use multimeter to test first.
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Ok, so I checked the safety functions on the Tdub, and it looks like the clutch doesn't have to be in when starting the bike while in neutral. I also checked the kickstand and it will start in neutral with the kickstand up. Don't think it's supposed to do that, right? So am I to assume it could be a wiring issue with the kickstand safety switch?

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    The first thing that I would do is check the light bulb in the instrument panel to ensure that it is not burned out, these bulbs never last very long for me which is why I typically replace them with LED's.

The neutral switch, and connecting wire, are located inconveniently under the left side engine cover.
    Brian, where can I buy these LED bulbs? My high beam indicator bulb went out. Thanks.

Superbrightleds.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links