Cutting Out Intermittantly - Thinking it's electrical
Close

Cutting Out Intermittantly - Thinking it's electrical

I have a 98 TW200 with some issues. Pretty sure its electrical, tried a known good carb with the same results. It usually starts when cold, then dies out quickly and bogs out etc. Today I poked around (bypassed kickstand switch, checked carb, checked valve lash) and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. When I was messing with stuff I jiggled around some wires by the rectifier under the seat and I'm not sure if that's what did it but after that the bike ran perfectly. I drove it down the street it idled and ran great (it has never done that). When I got back I let it idle for 15 minutes and it was running smooth. Eventually the same thing happened and now I'm back to where I was. I disconnected and reconnected anything underneath and didn't see anything loose. Plan on getting some electrical grease in there when I go buy some. Anyone have any idea what my issue could be?

Maybe take the CDI plugs apart and make sure they are clean and in good shape. I would think the most vulnerable wiring on a bike would be where it is constantly flexing at the steering head. Take the seat off and jiggle the wiring while its running. Make sure the grounds are good too.
    Last edited by Peterb; 04-05-2019 at 04:23 PM.

If you have another bike that you were able to do a carb switch with, I would try a CDI swap. That's my best first guess if it was not carb related. Either that or a clogged fuel line/filter/petcock, etc.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

No longer have access to the other bike. The carb on the bike now is spotless inside, petcock flows freely and it has clear fuel line that isn't clogged in any way. Is there any way to test the CDI before I buy one? Looks like they are $250 or so on eBay I'd hate to spend the money for nothing

Welcome aboard, brother! I think I need a CDI on my '87 as well...here is a thread about how to use a timing light to test the CDI I found while searching around. I haven't done it myself - as I'm rather convinced that a new CDI is a smart idea on the 1987 model. Anyway, here you go! https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...check-cdi.html

Thanks for the link I'm going to test the CDI tomorrow. How do I test the stator? And is there anything else I should test?

I tested the CDI with a timing light and it all seemed fine. Yesterday it idled and ran fine with no issues. Today I went out and the battery was low, I started it and it had the same issues. The issues stopped as soon as I hooked up a battery charger. Do these bikes need battery voltage to run? Also when I was first diagnosing it it seemed like wiggling the wiring near the rectifier fixed the problem temporarily.

Sponosred Links