Gear Changes
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Changes

Hard to describe but when I shift after letting out the clutch it feels like it has not completed the shift, engaged or something. It shifts fine and get no slipping, grinding or false neutrals but it seems be still doing "something" after I the clutch out. Any clue what I am talking about
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Ok, shhhhhhh. Quietly..... Did you change oil recently? Is it time for a change (has it been 1,000 miles)? A different or used up oil will make it shift differently. Just from my experience anyway since it's a wet clutch. I throw in some fresh oil and she shifts like a dream.

Tell NO ONE I said the "O" word. Thems' fightin words.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

The bike only has about 150 miles on it and it had about 50 less when drove it home. It seemed to be that way on the ride home and now that I changed the oil (YAMALUBE). It may smooth our with some miles on the bike.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Check the spring

I've found that when the chain is out of spec, it leads to faulty shifts. Adjusting the chain within spec should improve shifting.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Check the spring

I've found that when the chain is out of spec, it leads to faulty shifts. Adjusting the chain within spec should improve shifting.

Thank you very much. I checked the chain yesterday and found it almost at the max. Tomorrow I will adjust it. Somehow I got the feeling it felt chain related. I will also check the spring.

Thank you very much.

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Spring looks good. Might be the clutch cable needs to be tightened a bit?

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
    Spring looks good. Might be the clutch cable needs to be tightened a bit?

I would adjust the cable and see what it does. Depending on mileage and age, you may need a new cable?

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    I would adjust the cable and see what it does. Depending on mileage and age, you may need a new cable?

I first checked my chain. I was near max but one turn of the snail was too tight so I ended up putting it back and lubed it. Still feels funny. Since the bike only has 200 miles on it nowI doubt it needs a cable.

I might try and tighten the cable a tad at the top and see if it changes.

I does feel like perhaps the Yamalube is not really great with the clutch but I don't want to try another oil until it breaks in. Maybe the colder weather is not working with the 10/40.

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

After reading some other threads it seems that the clutch plates sticking are not all that uncommon when new. I am betting that shift will smooth out after some miles and when I put some synthetic in it.

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

New bike and low miles your cable should be fine like you mentioned. You checked your chain and its good. The spring is hooked correctly.

You're right, maybe you just need some time and miles on the bike so it can break in. Keep us posted.

1990 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links