TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Stator/ charging issues

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  GOF 
#1 ·
Howdy yall! New to the forum and was curious of anyone could shed some light on my charging issues. Im a complete green horn when it comes to electrical work.. i got a 96 tw completly stripped down. including the harness ive been putting back together and ive got basically everything back together to find out the charging system isint functioning properly. Its a newish battery when fully charged it holds at 13.2v and after doing a bit of research i thought the recitifier may have been no good. Ordered and installed a new one and still no power gain at an idle nor at 5k rpm. I get about an hour of riding timw before the lights die out. So the next smoking gun i assume is the stator. I ohm tested the green and white wire coming from the stator which i believe is the pickup and it reads 191 steadily. I then tested the yellow and brown wire together which gave me a reading of 51. I couldnt get a reading from the red wire no matter what configuration i tested. Are these readings in spec? Can someone tell me which wire does what? Why couldnt i get a reading from the red wire? Itd greatly be appreciated!

#4 ·
3 minutes ago · #2
Have you had the left side crankcase cover off ?

(Welcome to the board) i have had it off to put a new gasket on. Didnt think to check anything at that point on account of my lack of knowledge of the bike. Looking back i wish i did.

#6 ·
With the given readings which wire should i look at? Are the readings i stated in the yamaha ball park? Ill remove the stator side now and take a look. Off chance do you what color wire from the startor represents the charging system ? And thank you for the quick response!

#9 ·
The charging system is on page 211

Text Line Font Parallel Illustration

The parameters for the test you tried are on page 254

Text Font Line Parallel Line art

Right click on image – “open in new tab” for a bigger view

Without first checking the wires are not pinched, you will never know if the pinch is throwing your reading out ….

#11 ·
Might be a stupid question but does the stator wires hook up to the cdi itself or the harness? The harness was completly unhooked and i took a shot in the dark amd hooked the stator to the harness side. Pictures as shown. First pic is the entire harness system. Second pic is the cdi plugs. Last pic is the stator wires into the harness.

Attachments

#13 ·
Yeah – that’s the problem – the wire colours seldom match up, particularly on the stator – nightmare

Let’s run some theory here …..

We know that the bike (should) run without the battery (or even the fuse), so it takes a direct 12v DC feed from the stator straight to the CDI

We also know that the reason you have a reg/rec unit in there, is because the reg/rec takes an AC input,and controls it, putting 14+vDC into the battery, then the battery acts as a damper, feeding a steady 12vDC into the rest of the bike

Make sense ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.