Stator/ charging issues
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stator/ charging issues

Howdy yall! New to the forum and was curious of anyone could shed some light on my charging issues. Im a complete green horn when it comes to electrical work.. i got a 96 tw completly stripped down. including the harness ive been putting back together and ive got basically everything back together to find out the charging system isint functioning properly. Its a newish battery when fully charged it holds at 13.2v and after doing a bit of research i thought the recitifier may have been no good. Ordered and installed a new one and still no power gain at an idle nor at 5k rpm. I get about an hour of riding timw before the lights die out. So the next smoking gun i assume is the stator. I ohm tested the green and white wire coming from the stator which i believe is the pickup and it reads 191 steadily. I then tested the yellow and brown wire together which gave me a reading of 51. I couldnt get a reading from the red wire no matter what configuration i tested. Are these readings in spec? Can someone tell me which wire does what? Why couldnt i get a reading from the red wire? Itd greatly be appreciated!

Have you had the left side crankcase cover off ?

(Welcome to the board)
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Side note. The three white wires all have continuity. At an idle it pushes out 20 vac in two wires and one is showing 12v.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

3 minutes ago · #2
    Have you had the left side crankcase cover off ?

(Welcome to the board) i have had it off to put a new gasket on. Didnt think to check anything at that point on account of my lack of knowledge of the bike. Looking back i wish i did.

Check for a pinched wire coming out of the engine - the casing is awkward cos of the magnet, and often goes all over the place - that's the first thing to check

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...r-manuals.html
    Last edited by Purple; 04-10-2019 at 03:02 PM.

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

With the given readings which wire should i look at? Are the readings i stated in the yamaha ball park? Ill remove the stator side now and take a look. Off chance do you what color wire from the startor represents the charging system ? And thank you for the quick response!

Other than that (and what the manual says for checking stator readings, which is about as much use as a chocolate tea cup), if you have painted the frame, check the earths. Even using Locktite can isolate an earth contact on a component …..

- Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snueax View Post
    With the given readings which wire should i look at? Are the readings i stated in the yamaha ball park? Ill remove the stator side now and take a look. Off chance do you what color wire from the startor represents the charging system ? And thank you for the quick response!
    Check for wire pinch first - otherwise it gets complicated and I'm going to have to look it up ...

- Hidden Content

The charging system is on page 211

sw2.JPG

The parameters for the test you tried are on page 254

sw3.JPG

Right click on image – “open in new tab” for a bigger view

Without first checking the wires are not pinched, you will never know if the pinch is throwing your reading out ….

- Hidden Content

The wires look good physically. I see no cuts or crimps.. i looked at that diagram before but with my lack of electrical knowledge its hard to determine what wires are what color wise as they differ from the diagram to the actual stator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links