TW200 Skidplate Smackdown
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: TW200 Skidplate Smackdown

TW200 Skidplate Smackdown

There seems to be a lot of interest lately regarding skidplate options for the TW. So, today as I was fitting an XT225 skidplate to one of my 225cc 6-speed bikes, I thought that I would take some pics and collect some data for the skidplates that I have on hand.

Pictured below, from left to right, are a stock TW200 skidplate, a stock XT225 skidplate, an aftermarket Ricochet TW200 skidplate, and an aftermarket TCI skidplate.

IMG_1737.JPG

And here is a view of their flip sides.

IMG_1738.JPG

The stock TW200 skidplate is made of approximately 0.032" (1/32") steel (or roughly equivalent to old dog food cans ). This plate mounts with just one bolt at the front and a hook at the rear.

IMG_1743.JPG

Next is the XT225 skidplate. This is made from approximately 0.100" (7/64") aluminum, or roughly 3 times a thick as the TW skidplate. It is also considerably larger, offering more side protection. The stock plate mounts with a single bolt at the front and two bolts at the rear. I fabricated a hook for the rear so it now mounts like the TW plate.

IMG_1744.JPG

IMG_1759.JPG

Next is the Ricochet skidplate. This is made from approximately 0.180" (3/16") aluminum, or close to twice as thick as the XT225 skidplate and almost 6 times as thick as the TW's stock plate . This plate has very beefy mounts for both the front and rear.

IMG_1745.JPG

This is the TCI skidplate. It was previously made from approximately 0.180" (3/16") aluminum like the Ricochet, and steel tubing/expanded mesh for side protection. Unfortunately, it is now available only in Unobtainium .

IMG_1752.JPG

Here is what the XT225 skidplate looks like mounted on a TW.

IMG_1760.JPG

Hopefully, this will help those of you trying to decide which route you may want to go with your TW.

Brian

Great post!
    2001 TW

Brian, considering you have them all for a first hand look. Which do you prefer and why. If it's not the TCI I'm looking.

Great post! Thanks.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    Brian, considering you have them all for a first hand look. Which do you prefer and why. If it's not the TCI I'm looking.

Great post! Thanks.
    Hey Jeeper,

Great question! I'll start with the one that I like the least - no surprise here, that would be the stock skid plate. I have a small collection of 5 or 6 scratched, dented and rusted stockers that no one wants (however, I did just just gift the nicest one that I had to Ronnydog for whatever reason that he wanted a stock one).

Next, I would probably say that I like the XT225 plate that I just put on for its aesthetics, improved protection over the stocker, and its ease of installation/removal for oil changes, etc.

Next would be the Ricochet plate. I feel this represents the best bang for your buck in terms of rock solid construction and fairly bulletproof protection from direct front and bottom hits, which are what I am most likely to encounter. It is kind of a pain to remove and cleanup after oil changes because that drains hole never seems to quite line up with the drips.

I will give the TCI plate top billing because of its gnarly looks and construction, its reported protection from side hits (I can't testify to this, though), but primarily because it is becoming a rarity. It is definitely more of a pain to install and or remove, plus it greatly complicates access to both side of the engine. I am basically hanging on to it as sell/trade bait for that someone who just has to have one of these for their bike.

Brian

Brian really, really, really knows his TW200 motorcycles.
    The relative ranking seems spot on and well stated. stated.

Like that motorcycle stand, where'd you get it?
    lift.JPG
    troll likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Brian really, really, really knows his TW200 motorcycles.
    The relative ranking seems spot on and well stated. stated.

Like that motorcycle stand, where'd you get it?
    lift.JPG
    Good eye, Fred!

That's the very same Kendon Big Bike Stand-up Lift that you were gracious enough to retrieve from the Reno area for me.

Thanks again, it's the absolute best way for old guys to work on their bikes!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Hey Jeeper,

Great question! I'll start with..."lol" I am basically hanging on to it as sell/trade bait for that someone who just has to have one of these for their bike.

Brian

I have have more than one of everything, several engines, 6 speed ones included, even a brand new one never run in a crate, extended swingarms, lots of special one offs... all kinds of crap, enough parts to build several top quality tdubs... but I don't have that darn skid plate and I've been looking for one for many years. They are truly unobtanium, especially in new condition. I'm not sure I would even run it till I saw one first hand, it sure is cool looking though. Any particular thing you may be looking for and can't get? Or get in excelant condition? Don't get me wrong, I could live without it but I'm sitting on a lot of gold (parts wise) that may never get put to good use. I'd rather trade off something if iyou really needed or wanted it.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    I have have more than one of everything, several engines, 6 speed ones included, even a brand new one never run in a crate, extended swingarms, lots of special one offs... all kinds of crap, enough parts to build several top quality tdubs... but I don't have that darn skid plate and I've been looking for one for many years. They are truly unobtanium, especially in new condition. I'm not sure I would even run it till I saw one first hand, it sure is cool looking though. Any particular thing you may be looking for and can't get? Or get in excelant condition? Don't get me wrong, I could live without it but I'm sitting on a lot of gold (parts wise) that may never get put to good use. I'd rather trade off something if iyou really needed or wanted it.
    Wow Jeeper, I sure wish we weren't on opposite sides of the country!

Maybe Purple will trade JerseyJeeper the TCI skidplate off of his Mr.Bracket bike for return airfare back to Anglesey when he is done playing with us in Moab. If Purple rides off a cliff I'll salvage the TCI and trade it for a ride on that sweet Husky.
    Purple and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Maybe Purple will trade JerseyJeeper the TCI skidplate off of his Mr.Bracket bike for return airfare back to Anglesey when he is done playing with us in Moab. If Purple rides off a cliff I'll salvage the TCI and trade it for a ride on that sweet Husky.
    Actually, I believe that the awesome skidplate on the Mr. Bracket Bumblebee Bike is a one-off design by Mr Bracket himself. Which makes it even more rare than a TCI plate!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links