Clutch help advice
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tweaker
  • 2 Post By Purple

Thread: Clutch help advice

Clutch help advice

I'm working on my daughter's newly aquired 1989 TW200. The clutch lever felt very soft, but was rideable and slipped a little in higher gears on occasion. I found the clutch arm return spring to be broke. I replaced the spring and adjusted clutch free play. The clutch now feels better, but doesn't fully dis-engage(meaning it kills the bike when going into first on an idle and when pushing bike in gear when turned off, there's quite a bit of resistance). I next drained the oil and pulled the clutch apart to inspect. The springs and friction discs were measured and within tolerance. Should I put it back together with fresh oil and try again? Is there something else I should adjust while it's apart? Not sure where to go from here but would like to get this resolved as the weather is getting nicer and I have a daughter that's ready to go ride.

I am not a clutch expert but I am pretty sure there is an adjustment you can make on the clutch itself. Check for the manual in the tech section and similar threads that show up below or a search.
    admiral likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I have a new 2019 tw200 and it does the same thing. Clutch is ok in top gear, no slipping but drags with clutch pulled in and motor not running. Normal for this bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Switching to full synthetic (after 1500 miles on a new bike) will help. If the bike still does this after warm-up then the clutch needs adjustment.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Starting from cold, the TW will often stall when putting it into gear. Some people like to rock the bike back and forth with the engine off and the bike in gear (with the clutch pulled in) – personally, I find that if you blip the throttle before stuffing it into gear (grabbing a fistful of front brake at this point is “advisable”), it’s enough to break the plates free

Changing to synthetic is also a way around the problem, though the “sticky plates” start to come back after a thousand or so miles. In short, there is no one simple cure – it comes with the bike, so get used to it

Though, as your bike is a 1989, it is possible that the cork plates are “gunked up” beyond redemption, and even swelling. A cheap thing to try, would be to replace those cork plates, and see if it improves the situation, especialy the “slip at speed” situation. Cork may not “absorb” oil, but 30 years later, the coating of oil defeats the friction, and causes swelling

So in theory – you should some improvement when pushing it in gear with the engine off (on a warm engine), but still expect to have to blip the throttle before putting it into gear from cold

The clutch action itself on a TW is light when compared to say a Kawasaki 550, but as long as it works, don’t sweat it ……
    Sthrnromr and Xracer like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Sponosred Links