so there's the piston, there's the cylinder, and here's the top of the connecting rod after i got the wrist pin out - which took a puller made of washers, and a 3/8" #8 bolt with the head ground down to the same dia as the wrist pin. barely got it out without snapping the bolt, it was that tight. still in the engine, so couldn't whack at it.
tw wrist repair.JPG
cleaned off any proud ridges till the new wrist pin was happy but w/o slop. it's a hardened steel on hardened steel situation, so i'm not overly worried about it, despite the uglyness of my repair. time will tell, and should some warning if there is an issue...
that was the used (but all good) piston and cyl i had got from elime after my first piston fail. i still had a new wiseco from elime for my stock cyl, so in aug 2018 (bike down for a year at this point, ugh) bought a hone and set out to tidy up the stock cyl (i'll admit, despit having rebuild a few auto engines, i hadn't understood the whole cross-hatching, riding on the ridges, oil in the grooves thang). anyway, cleaned off the piston residue with the scouring-pad-in-a-drill trick, and muratic acid. years ago i had a buddy who floated out speed from diet pills or something with muratic acid, not that i went near it. but i digress.
did the initial hone with #240, and then plateued it with #300. in hindsight the crosshatch angle is a little steep. and yes there's still a score, but it's shallow and smooth.
tw piston2 hone.JPG
cleaned things up good, gapped the rings, fine. put it all back together. head seems fine.