Shifts without pulling in clutch, trouble getting into 2nd
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Badgerflorida
  • 2 Post By Ken
  • 1 Post By Sthrnromr

Thread: Shifts without pulling in clutch, trouble getting into 2nd

Shifts without pulling in clutch, trouble getting into 2nd

Howdy fellow TW riders. Thanks in advance for any of y'all's help!

Rode my TW today for about 20 miles and had no issues. Pulled over to make a quick phone call 2 blocks from my destination and all of a sudden could not get it to go from 1st, past neutral, and into 2nd.
    Was able to pull the shifter into 2nd with my hand but it takes more force than my foot can give, I guess. Started out in 2nd gear and got to my dude's house.

After some dinking around discovered that I can pull the shifter through all gears and back down again without ever touching the clutch. Yikes?

Pulling in the clutch still articulates all the way though the cable, and I can see the thing rotating down to the crank case (I think that's where it leads?)

Seems fishy being able to go through gears without using the clutch.

I am new to motorcycle mechanics but have been reading, youtubing, and lurking here a lot.

Any help from you lovely lot would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    J

They’ll all shift without the clutch without the motor running. Nothing wrong there.
    Fred likes this.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

I've been shifting without the clutch for years. If you have the finesse, you only need the clutch for starting off. Now I don't recommend not ever using the clutch. Maybe hard acceleration or deceleration I use the clutch. Normal riding...hardly touch it.

As for the sticking, IDK. Maybe something moved the wrong way and worked its way loose.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    They’ll all shift without the clutch without the motor running. Nothing wrong there.
    Haha, learning new things everyday. Okay, good to know that.

With it running it takes a whole lot to get it to move from neutral to 2nd. Once in 2nd (can pull with my hand real hard but foot can't do it) every other gear switches normally.

Ken
    Check the bolt which runs through the shifter. Mine came loose and the excessive slack caused a similar issue.
    Fred and Sthrnromr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Check the bolt which runs through the shifter. Mine came loose and the excessive slack caused a similar issue.
    From looking at the bolt I suppose it could be that the shift lever was too close to the bike and when going up into 2nd the shift was hitting the case, unable to get all the way there.

Does anyone play around with shifter positioning or is it supposed to be kind of parallel with the "1N2345" sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by JaydDub View Post
    From looking at the bolt I suppose it could be that the shift lever was too close to the bike and when going up into 2nd the shift was hitting the case, unable to get all the way there.

Does anyone play around with shifter positioning or is it supposed to be kind of parallel with the "1N2345" sticker?
    Congrats on finding the likely issue to your shift problems. Many (including myself) adjust the height of the shifter for your preference, shoe/boot size, riding style and dexterity. Many of us also replace the stock shifter with something a bit better. IMS among many other replacement alternatives.
    littletommy likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Sponosred Links