So, do I have to buy a new carb?
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My 2008 TW seems to run just fine. However, if I leave the petcock on overnight there is slight gas seepage just below the float bowl gasket line. It was no big deal but I wanted to fix it.

Tonight I took the bowl off so I could replace the gasket and see what size main jet the bike had.

This is what I found. Evidently someone was not careful last time they removed or replaced the float hinge pin.

(There is some yellow stuff on the break. I am not sure if that is varnish that accumulated on the rough surface or if someone had actually attempted to glue the piece back on at one time. In any case the broken piece was not in the carb.)

Like I said, my bike seems to run just fine. So, this appears to be working for now. The pin remains solidly stuck in the one post that remains.

Does anyone have any idea if this could end up causing a problem? I don’t want to be in the middle of nowhere and have this leave me stranded.

Yamaha doesn’t appear to sell just the housing. It looks like I would have to buy an entire new carb for close to $300.

Poop.

I had one break into a semicircle at the pin hole, and JB Weld saved me there, but that looks a lot more iffy. I'd get on eBay and find one that needs rebuilt, and just transfer what you can. Would probably be cheaper.

You can try running with that, and you can probably rig it up with something to make it somewhat reliable, and it probably would do okay as is, but you just can't be sure. Buy some peace of mind. The day float posts are a replaceable or better built item would be nice.

Luckily, the float experiences ver little force. Now, what's gonna happen when you hit bumps, dips, vibration, etc... That's anyones guess. I'd say as long as the float can't move side to side and possibly get hung up on the side of the carb or anything, you're fine. As assquatch said though, it's worth the piece of mind. If I was in a pinch for cash, yeah I'd run that all day long. If you can get a second hand carb though, do that! Always better to do something completely the first time!

Kyle
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yuck, that is a bummer... So was the float just out of adjustment causing the leaking then? I'm working on a Flat Slide Carb kit for my Tdub, perhaps that would be a better solution than buying a new stock carb?? Or maybe someone has a used one you can buy?? Sucks that the Previous Owner didn't mention that.......

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Old White Truck View Post
    ... In any case the broken piece was not in the carb.)

Like I said, my bike seems to run just fine. So, this appears to be working for now. The pin remains solidly stuck in the one post that remains.

Since the pin is solidly stuck, IMO I believe you will be OK.

The missing post is the one that the pin should slide through easily, and as mentioned, there is little force exerted on those pins.

A post could probably be fabricated to work, but is most likely not worth the effort.

The float is unlikely to move sideways. The pin inserted into the float tang and the float bowl itself will keep any side movement to a minimum.

If you decide to get another carb, keep me in mind. I occasionally buy broken carbs for spare parts.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by mrbracket View Post
    Yuck, that is a bummer... So was the float just out of adjustment causing the leaking then?
    No, it appears that the very small leak was just from the old flattened float gasket. I put a new gasket in and now it is as dry as a bone. Bike runs great.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbracket View Post
    I'm working on a Flat Slide Carb kit for my Tdub, perhaps that would be a better solution than buying a new stock carb??
    Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    If any of those were close that would be fun. Sort of like picking up the entire discard pile when playing Rummy. You never know what you get until your rummage through it. The first guy wont ship and the second one would be too expensive to ship the whole bike.

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    I'd get on eBay and find one that needs rebuilt, and just transfer what you can. Would probably be cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdick91 View Post
    If you can get a second hand carb though, do that! Always better to do something completely the first time!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    If you decide to get another carb, keep me in mind. I occasionally buy broken carbs for spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla' date='14 February 2013 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1360893166' post='67965

Since the pin is solidly stuck, IMO I believe you will be OK.

EVERYONE - Thank you for the feedback!

Looks like I will keep riding for now but keep my eyes open and watch for some kind of good used deal to come up down the road.

That could have gone back to the original manufacturer

There's no way I'd ride more than 1km from home or a bike shop with a carb like that. I've pushed far too many bikes far too long and I'm far too old. Be thankful to the gods of Amal, Teikin and Mikuni that you found it now and honor their karma by fixing that hsit.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post

If you are interested in the carb off the one in MD ( http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...600550510.html ), I live in VA and its about a hour and a half from my house. I am interested in the fairings on the bike and a few other things, so I could ship you the carb. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links