Capacitors in place of battery, Any electrical engineers out there?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Capacitors in place of battery, Any electrical engineers out there?

Capacitors in place of battery, Any electrical engineers out there?

I bought a new battery for my TW and it lasted a few month (doesn't get charged enough from lack of use and the freezing temps) Anyway, I saw a post where someone had connected a few capacitors together and start their car with them. Could I replace my battery with capacitors? I found some 500F 2.7V capacitors, could I connect 4 of them together and start the TW with them? Should I put in an inline fuse? I have a kick start as a back up. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,

My thoughts are just to grab a lightweight Lithium battery such as a Shorai and be done with it. Just my 2 cents.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Draayer; I think you would be much better served by purchasing a lithium ion compact battery. I replaced my lead acid 2 years ago and have been very pleased. Check battery plus, or bulbs & batteries. Around $75.00. Your cap idea sounds a little out there for a TW, besides, you run the risk of going back-in-time...
    Last edited by Blueduce; 04-23-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    "Cycles is a mean toy lady" Halsy Knox

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

and try taking your battery out of the bike for the winter, no battery likes to be frozen all winter, they all need some kind of maintanance.
    GOF, Darth and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Ok, I understand, the smart thing to do would be to buy a normal battery, but where's the fun in that? I mean the smart thing would be to buy a Prius not a TW, but who wants to do the "Smart" thing. Lets experiment, while trying to avoid the TW bursting into flames. I've already ordered 4 capacitors for $18 I'm really trying to find out if I should wire in an inline fuse, or what would be recommended if some crazy person was going to replace a battery with capacitors?
    Thanks,

one can run caps instead of a battery if you've pulled the battery for some reason, but that's just to smooth out the output from the charge coils so one's lights don't flicker.
    i've never heard of being able to run a starter or use them for actual normal electrical storage. think of the caps as a flywheel, mostly.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

There are videos online of people replacing their car batteries with capacitors so I'm still trying to understand why it can't be done on a motorbike?

grewen and CJ7Pilot like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Draayer View Post
    There are videos online of people replacing their car batteries with capacitors so I'm still trying to understand why it can't be done on a motorbike?
    It can and has been done. Just my opinion the Lithium battery is a better option. But if you want to use a capacitor, go for it. Take a look here for some good info --> https://www.tw200forum.com/forums/7722/ShowPost.aspx
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

grewen likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links