IGNITION GURU NEEDED! Swapping 2010 motor in 1993
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: IGNITION GURU NEEDED! Swapping 2010 motor in 1993

IGNITION GURU NEEDED! Swapping 2010 motor in 1993

I bought a 1993 TW200 from a guy who attempted to swap in a 2010 motor. He never got it to spark so sold for $300 with all the papers. Can't wait to get it running...

Looks like the 2010 magneto connector was different from the 93 harness so he cut and used butt clamps.

So what do I do? Buy a 2010 CDI or could I install a 1993 magneto in the 2010 motor and run the original CDI? Or could it work as is and maybe he got the wires mixed up when he cut them. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    The first thing I would do is get a copy of each wiring diagram. Then PLAN out what may need to be done before something gets cooked. With both copies, you can see what is different and what is the same. With patience, you can get this done. This is your bike. You are the guru. We will help as much as we can.

"Butt Clamps"
    No offense intended, but,
    That is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

If you don't mind, I'll continue to call them that from now on.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Also, where are you located? If you are close to someone else, perhaps you could get some in person assistance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Butt clamps, butt connectors. That's what I always called em . I've done some digging and was only able to find a 87 manual for free. Probably the best idea rather than going much further. Its a mess...

I took a voltage reading from the positive side of coil with the ignition on. It was fluctuating rapidly... Shouldn't it be 12V? Seemed odd...

I forgot to mention the previous owner gave me the original clapped out motor in the deal. I'd like to see if that "CDI magneto", so my 1987 manual calls it. Would fit in the newer motor so the old 93 cdi would accept the "pulse"(?). They look identical and the 2010 fit like a glove with no issues.

I know I sound like a mad scientist lol I live in the Virgin Islands and there isn't any part stores and shipping takes weeks . I'm gonna give it a shot and take the magneto off the junk motor tommorow. Might as well... Gonna shop for some FSM as well. I'll keep you updated.

Hi Dan, here's my suggestion.

Take the left side engine cover/stator and flywheel from the 1993 engine and transplant them onto the 2010 engine. This is a direct bolt-on that should then plug and play directly into the 1993 wiring harness (that is assuming that the original harness, connectors, and CDI haven't been boogered up). Make sure that you don't pinch the wires when re-installing the stator/side cover.

Then, you might as well also transplant the kicker from the 1993 into the 2010 engine. Assuming that these transplants work as they should, you got a heck of a deal for $300!

Brian

I think the wire diagrams are here in Technical write ups. https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...g-diagram.html

I hate electrical issues and am not at all good with following diagrams. The main problem you may run into is in the actual wiring harnesses that changed between the 1987 model which is a one year only harness and then from 1988-2000 they are the same but after 2001 they changed again to accommodate different CDI/Stators and other upgrades. Chances are the plug in connectors will be different all the way through. I call what you are calling Butt Connectors, Crimp Connectors. The standard TW connectors are Bullet connectors found throughout the harness. Just my opinion here but if I were in your shoes with this mess and not know what the PO might have cobbled together or cut out of the existing harness I think I would start from scratch with a harness from the year of the motor, probably 2001 up to around 2014 or newer. At least the wire color codes will be correct to the year of the engine and you could then follow the diagrams. I believe but can't be sure that most of the upgrades in the electrical system relate to the CDI and Stator while most of the rest remain the same but likely have different wire colors going the the various systems. I would call your dilemma a complete Night Mare being electrically challenged as I am.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

GOF
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I think the wire diagrams are here in Technical write ups. https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...g-diagram.html
    I think the links are broken. Would be great if someone that had the diagrams could share them.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Just the stuff I've been collecting since I picked up the TW: https://tw200.org/manuals/

Quote Originally Posted by GOF View Post
    I think the links are broken. Would be great if someone that had the diagrams could share them.
    Well that sucks! He did a very nice job with these color coded diagrams. They are here somewhere if one of the site gurus wants to go back and try to find them. He might have used Photobucket to load them and just about all that stuff went away. Some can still get to the old TW 200 site and retrieve lost pics and info.

GaryL
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

That GS750 site is down, but it pointed to 'postimg' as the image hosting source, which no longer exists either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links