Looking for ideas and solutions. Please help if you had similar problems.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Looking for ideas and solutions. Please help if you had similar problems.

Looking for ideas and solutions. Please help if you had similar problems.

I bought a 1996 TW200. Odometer reads 1650. Battery was dead and replaced. Throttle rusted and froze. I freed the throttle. Compression is 140psi cold. Fuel system is clean and fresh. I did not run it before bringing it home. My bad.

I started it up with the choke full out. It ran very fast and continuously. Push choke in slowly, it slows as expected. Push more in all the way and it starts coughing and backfiring through the intake. Will not run at idle nor can I open throttle before it quits.

I cleaned the carb thoroughly and used a Shindy carb kit. I did not replace the needle because I didn't think it was necessary with so few miles. The results were pretty much the same. So, I replaced the Shindy kit jets with the original jets thinking maybe it was because I didn't change the needle. Drilled out the idle screw plug so that I could adjust it. No change in the way it runs. I also replaced the fuel cut off diaphragm.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the valve train. To me timing comes to mind. Runs like hell with the choke full out.

So now I am out of trouble shooting ideas. I need some ideas or feedback from you guys. I have never worked on a TW before. Please help.

Thanks, Greg Nolan, Clarkston MI
    Elevation: 700 feet

Hi Greg, congrats on the new bike!

Sounds like fuel/carb issues. Start with some fresh fuel, a heavy dose of Seafoam, and some time for it to do its job.

That's all I got for you (I am not a carb guy).

Brian

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Sounds definitely carb related.

If the Seafoam doesn't work...
    It needs some time in the ultrasonic tank.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Greg, Sounds like you are doing things as close to right as we can get but what you are experiencing is why I often say it is good to have 2 TWs in close proximity at all times. I fell it is a carb issue and I did not have any luck with after market carb kits. If you had a second TW that was running good you could simply swap carbs and know the answer if the carb is the issue almost immediately. My very first TW had the very same issue you describe and I lost a bit of hair trying to get it running smooth. Out of complete frustration and after yanking and rebuilding the original carb more times than I care to mention I just bought a new OEM carb for about $265. I pulled the plug over the pilot screw and set it at 2.25 turns out and slapped it on the bike. I was both amazed and thrilled that my stumbling TW came to full life with not another burp and I never had to yank the carb again. Later on I rebuilt the old carb after letting it sit in a can of Barrymans carb cleaner for over a week and when I got my second TW with carb issues I put the clean carb on it and it worked great. I am a firm believer there is an orifice inside these carbs that does get clogged and we just can't see it. Probably the one above the float needle valve IMO. I have since rebuilt a number of TW carbs and still had no luck with the aftermarket kits parts but they all come back to life with all OEM Yamaha parts. Diagnosing the issue is the key to getting the bike running right and starting with a good working carb from another bike will show you where the problem is real fast.

GaryL
    Miaugi, Xracer, raffles and 2 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Hello Gary
    Thank you for the response and with clear details. As stated above, I pulled the carb, cleaned it and then used Shindy kit parts except the Needle. I then put the OEM Main and Pilot jets back in it, to get back to OEM status. There was really no change. So, like you say, I will pull the carb and soak it. Changing/adjusting the idle screw had no positive effect. I was also thinking of getting an aftermarket CDI from TomB to see if that made any diff. Tom's CDI would probably be a nice upgrade anyway. I wish there was a replacement carb I could buy thats pretty much a plug and play install. I am not a fan of the TK carb. But I don't want to bastardize my TW too much either. Thanks again.
    Greg
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GNolan View Post
    Hello Gary
    Thank you for the response and with clear details. As stated above, I pulled the carb, cleaned it and then used Shindy kit parts except the Needle. I then put the OEM Main and Pilot jets back in it, to get back to OEM status. There was really no change. So, like you say, I will pull the carb and soak it. Changing/adjusting the idle screw had no positive effect. I was also thinking of getting an aftermarket CDI from TomB to see if that made any diff. Tom's CDI would probably be a nice upgrade anyway. I wish there was a replacement carb I could buy thats pretty much a plug and play install. I am not a fan of the TK carb. But I don't want to bastardize my TW too much either. Thanks again.
    Greg
    Here is the carb. https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...043dae27121526. Plug and play for sure but a bit more pricey than the last one I bought. You might find it cheaper elsewhere and any year carb between 1987-2000 will drop right in plug and play.

GaryL
    raffles and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Runs like hell" - does this mean the engine runs well or poorly with the enriching circuit plunger pulled out?
    Ambiguous terminology does not help us help us help you.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

When the choke is full out it runs very fast. My guess, more than 3k rpm.
    Fred and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GNolan View Post
    When the choke is full out it runs very fast. My guess, more than 3k rpm.
    I call that "Runaway Fast Idle" the warmer the engine gets the higher the RPMs will go. Pull the pilot screw completely out and make sure there is an O ring on it.

GaryL
    raffles and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Gary,
    The jet I call the Main jet is in the center of the Bowl and guides the needle. The Pilot jet is inside the bowl. The Idle jet is external from the bowl and adjustable. I have an O-Ring on the Main Jet and on the Idle Jet. It sounds like you call it the pilot jet and I call it the idle jet. I never saw an O-Ring on what I call the Pilot Jet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links