98TW lurching/bogging when accelerating. Dies if blipped after stressing it.
Close

98TW lurching/bogging when accelerating. Dies if blipped after stressing it.

58692063_407992193085771_5614507059262468323_n.jpg
    Pic of the bike for attention.

Finally got my TW200 back up and running after about 5 years. I put in a new petcock and carb and cleaned out the tank this week. I actually had similar symptoms before replacing those parts before I stored it.

What happens is it kicks up and idles fine, maybe needs a tiny bit of choke when its cold but 2-4 kicks gets it going. If it's slow shifting and low throttle it acts fine, I was teaching my girlfriend how to ride on it for 45mins and low rpm parking lot riding through 1st and 2nd it behaves.

When I'm riding it and give it more gas as I'm rowing through the gears it will bog and lurch, after some time it will start puttering and eventually just die. When I start it again it tends not to like throttle unless I open it up wide, if you give it a light/medium blip it'll die. I noticed this morning the problem seemed to amplify when I was riding it up a hill too, almost seems to be load related.

I was thinking about going down the path of ignition coil/CDI but any advice would be helpful.

**Edit**
    I found that the newer format carb I bought might need a new intake boots on both sides, I noticed that the mounting notch on the engine side of it seemed to big for the old slot.
    Last edited by titanium; 05-07-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Sounds to me like more of an air/fuel issue that needs adjusting. I know you stated new carb, so maybe jetting or air leak? My 2 cents.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Thanks,I'll tinker with that. I ended up having to push it home from work on and off. If it sat for a while I could get it to rev up and it'd go for about 2 blocks then slowly bog down and die, starting it back up it'd only idle till it sat for a while then I might be able to get it to rev up for 2 blocks rinse repeat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like the carburetors clogged up or the fuel filter if you have one. Try some seafoam or some Redux fuel cleaner in it, a strong dose 3 or 4 oz first before you tear the carb open.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Sounds like the carburetors clogged up or the fuel filter if you have one. Try some seafoam or some Redux fuel cleaner in it, a strong dose 3 or 4 oz first before you tear the carb open.
    The carb is new, maybe it needs a bigger jet? It will idle fine all day but once it warms up it starts acting like this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i4jfQL54Ny6ur4Dy8

OEM new carb? If so, I would think it might run a little better than that. It does seem to be starving for air or fuel. Hopefully somebody has a idea.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by titanium View Post
    The carb is new, maybe it needs a bigger jet? It will idle fine all day but once it warms up it starts acting like this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i4jfQL54Ny6ur4Dy8
    Could just be the videos audio, but it really sounds like an air leak somewhere...
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Sponosred Links