Ultrasonic Cleaning of Carburetor
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Ultrasonic Cleaning of Carburetor

Ultrasonic Cleaning of Carburetor

Hello to all,

Please tell me what Ultrasonic Cleaning machine to buy. Also can anyone tell me what Cleaning solution I should use? Thanks for any feedback.

GNolan
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

I have the one harbor freight sells. Over all it works great for everything i have used it on.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

Sometimes they have a coupon that makes it a lot cheaper.

As for a solution i have used pine sol mixed with water in mine with good success. Just make sure you rinse the parts after you take them out.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Ditto on the HF cleaner. I use Simple Green plus water plus a cycle at the end with only water for the rinse. Works great!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I have a 14L unit from Amazon about 8 yrs old and a small 3l unit from Craigslist. The big one is heated (Great for Sou Vide cooking) and the small one generates enough heat from using it.
    Pine sol or Simple Green.

With detergents, LESS IS MORE. You are only trying to break the surface tension. Let the sound do the work. In the 14L tank, we use less than a cup of pine sol/simple green.

A friend mists his parts with non ammonia windex and tosses them in his tank with just water in it. His parts come out great, require no rinsing either.

Not kiddding about the Sou Vide thing. The tank will hold temp to within 2 degrees of setpoint.
    jbfla and jtomelliott49 like this.

Here's the Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner:

I also have a much more expensive professional cleaner, which doesn't clean any better than HF one.

As far as the cleaning solution, Pinesol, Dawn, Simple Green will do. Just an ounce or two plus water.

The detergent is added to break the surface tension between the water and the surface of the part. It's the ultrasonic vibrations that do the cleaning.

If you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, an overnight bath in 100% Pinesol will work,

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I use a simple surplus jewelry ultrasonic cleaner of about 1/2 litre capacity with a couple of drops of dish detergent.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

The HF cleaner has held up well for me. No complaints. It does have a pre-heater you can turn on, but like all smallish cleaners the sonic action generates a fair amount of heat on it's own.

As mentioned when it comes to ultrasonic cleaners, the detergent is really there to improve the cavitation of the water by reducing surface tension, which is what actually does the cleaning. Normally I throw a splash of simple green or purple power in (maybe a couple ounces) and the rest water. More cleaner does not equal better results (just wastes cleaner). Use the pre-heater until it gets nice and warm (the HF one only has one setting, 140* F), then turn the heater off and drop the carb in and cycle it for a few minutes. If the whole thing isn't submerged, turn it around and cycle again.

Like any carb cleaning, take everything apart to allow the water to get into all the nooks and crannies. I never have bothered with a rinse, just blow it out with shop air afterward and re-assemble.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    I use the HF unit and I echo everything said above. I have cleaned all sorts of parts, even rusty ones with a little vinegar in the water to help break up the rust. Pine Sol, Dawn, any grease cleaner works well, just use a little bit. If it's not perfectly clean on the first go around, reset the timer and do it again.

After you run it through the ultra unit it is also good to strip a length of stranded copper wire and take one small strand out. Run the strand of wire up into and of the tiny passages in the carb body just to make sure there are no clogs. Then run it through another cycle in the ultra. Compressed air directed to all the orifices blows any lingering water or solution out.
    I have ran carbs through a number of cycles, rinsed and blew them out and another cycle in the solution. Then I cleaned the ultra unit and ran another cycle with clear water only. After allowing the ultra to sit a while and the clear water to settle there was more debris in the bowl. You can't hurt the carb by running it through numerous cycles in the ultra. Pine sol, white vinegar and even clear lemon juice all work pretty well while Dawn and Simple green work best for the first cycle to cut any grease. There is no such thing as Too Clean.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Compressed air can drive debris further into orifices if blow in wrong direction. If using compressed air it is best to blow from cylinder side to air cleaner side for those fine passageways.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links