Bought a broken 2018 TW today! Just scratching my head on how to fix it for cheap.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Bought a broken 2018 TW today! Just scratching my head on how to fix it for cheap.

Cool Bought a broken 2018 TW today! Just scratching my head on how to fix it for cheap.

Just purchased a 2018 TW200 for the low low price of trading an ipad mini! A friend of mine basically just gave me the bike! IT ONLY HAS 45 Miles on it... But the front hub and spokes are wrecked. The tire seems good and the triple tree seems good, but the forks are most certainly bent and the hub is JACKED UP BAD. Ive been reading up and it seeems as though I can just order yz80 Forks and theyll snap right in. but the hub is another animal. The question is should I buy a whole new rim/ tire combo from fleabay for $200 or should I try and Salvage whats here already with a new hub and spokes.. And as far as the forks.. should I try and bend them back to straight or just get new ones? Any advice would be much Aprreciated.. This bike is going to be my new daily rider and I really wanna ride IT!
    IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    Darth and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Looks like a defect in materials. Warranty for sure.
    DieselZack likes this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Hi Zack, and welcome to the forum!

So sorry, but that bike is obviously beyond repair . Just sign the title, tape it to the seat and send the bike out here to me, and I will be glad to dispose of it at no charge to you !

Seriously, I would just buy a replacement front wheel and a set of upper fork tubes and then you would be back up and riding in no time. Then you can rebuild the front wheel at your leisure or just sell it as is and let someone else deal with it.

Ask your friend if he has anything else that he wants to trade for an Ipad mini!

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you try to straighten the forks, you'll spend time every year changing the seals - that 'aint gonna fly - either sort out what's bent, or swap out the whole front end

(Welcome to the board) .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

A machine shop or good garage can probably straighten the fork tubes on a precision press.
    If so, it would be cheaper than new and just as good.

Welcome to the forum! Good to see another Texan in the looney bin. We're in Timbercreek Canyon, 10 miles south of Amarillo.
    Looks like you're Army...thank you for your service, my friend.
    How are things at good ol' Fort Hood? What do they do there now...still tanks, etc.? Hot, dusty damn place!
    I was in the Army too, but I broke my damn musket!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Thank You for the advice! I just ordered a new wheel on ebay! Im probly going to just get some forks from ebay as well and get it back on the road before I start the serious modifications! BTW my friend only had the bike to trade soooooo sorry lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    A machine shop or good garage can probably straighten the fork tubes on a precision press.
    If so, it would be cheaper than new and just as good.

Welcome to the forum! Good to see another Texan in the looney bin. We're in Timbercreek Canyon, 10 miles south of Amarillo.
    Looks like you're Army...thank you for your service, my friend.
    How are things at good ol' Fort Hood? What do they do there now...still tanks, etc.? Hot, dusty damn place!
    I was in the Army too, but I broke my damn musket!
    The HOOD is still the "GREAT PLACE" lol theres alot of silly stuff going around but for the most part its just shoot stuff and more shoot stuff with bradleys and tanks... However there are some good trails to ride out here! when i get the bike up and running we should go for a ride if you make it this far south!
    Smitty Blackstone and Darth like this.

Welcome switch out the front tire while you are making these repairs. Shinko 241 is good.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to ride motorcycles! 45 miles on a 2018? Sheesh! Did he even get it home from the showroom before crashing?
    grewen and elBuro like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Some people really shouldn't be allowed to ride motorcycles! 45 miles on a 2018? Sheesh! Did he even get it home from the showroom before crashing?
    Actually he let a completley inexperienced rider get on it the day that he bought it. They whiskey throttled it into a fence and then he let the bike sit for a year before giving it up to me lol
    Darth likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links