Ticking Noise
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ticking Noise

I have a quick question, my t-dub has recently developed a rather loud ticketing noise. So I decided to adjust the valves but when I adjusted them it seemed like the exhust tappet had some play in it. not a lot but enough to notice, could the loose tappet be the reason for the loud ticketing noise? If it is would it hurt to drive it as it is, I did adjust the tappet to between .004" to .005" with the max being the widest point in the play...

Thanks for any advise in advance.

What year and how many miles?

As long as your tappet gaps are within spec you should be fine. From what I've gathered, these engines are naturally noisy.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

When you say "I did adjust the tappet to between .004" to .005" with the max being the widest point in the play" do you mean you made the adjustment with the engine at Top Dead Center on the Compression Stroke? If not, do it again.

It's odd that it came on suddenly?? Are you low on oil? Hopefully you didn't end up with one of those faulty oil filters???

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sorry I didn't post the year and mileage, I thought about it after I hit post...

Its a 94 with 2596 miles on it. I got it with around 900 miles on it so I am just getting through the break in period I believe. I just had the oil changed in it and made sure it had the right filter with the four holes in it. On the thought of oil changes though I believe I am burning oil and didn't realize it so it ran "really low" on oil before I caught it. ( I hope that isn't the problem... )

When I adjusted the Valves I didn't use the markers with TDC, ( didn't know they were there... ) I will try to readjust them with the marker and see if that helps.

I am new to working on motorcycles but I figured I would give it a try anyways since the noise was already there.

Thanks again for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtechboy View Post
    When I adjusted the Valves I didn't use the markers with TDC, ( didn't know they were there... ) I will try to readjust them with the marker and see if that helps.

Don't forget to look in the service manual (available online) and this sticky thread here on the forum: Valve Adjusting

You must adjust the valves at tdc. It is very easy to do on these tw's. There will always be a ticking noise from single cylinder engines but keeping the valves in spec will limit the noise.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    You must adjust the valves at tdc. It is very easy to do on these tw's. There will always be a ticking noise from single cylinder engines but keeping the valves in spec will limit the noise.

+1

TDC and a COLD engine is a must.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

My '87 TW with 20K miles on it has a horrible ticking sound and it seems to be getting worse. I have adjusted the valves many times but no good.

The ticking is worse when the engine is hot however it goes away after a hard workout, that is when it is real hot, but comes back as it cools down a little. I am getting ready to replace the base gasket so I will inspect the piston and valve guides and see if they are OK. Reports to follow.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

My 91 makes a lot more noise than my 03.

IMG_5970[1].JPG
    I pulled the timing chain adjuster off my 2006 today. The cause of the ticking is VERY clear. The end of the pushrod is a free floating cap. I can make the cap tick in my hand easily. I see no way of making it not free floating (which might be part of its design). Anyway, I hope this solves a mystery. The cap TICKS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links