Cutting out at high speed - 08 TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All,

I have a 2008 TW200 that I purchased brand new in Sacramento CA. The bike has seen very regular use including freeway, and off road. I recently moved back to my home state of Montana, when in CA I used the bike as my main mode of transportation to and from work, every day for several years. I also used it as my get away to the wilderness vehicle when in CA and regularly packed it very full and rode freeway for hours to get away from the city.

The point is the bike has been run hard, at 70-75 mph for many hours, some with a very heavy camping load. I know the bike WAS NOT DESIGNED to be used this way but I take very very good care of the bike, regularly do maintenance and keep it in the best shape I can.

THE Problem I need advise on:

**Recently when I ride the bike at high speed for over 30 minutes it has started to cut out and it shuts off eventually. If I ride with an open throttle at high speed for over 20 minutes a shut off is a guarantee. I again need to ride it for transportation and also plan to adventure a lot in MT and know I am asking for trouble if I don't get this fixed. I am no TW expert but am very mechanically inclined, my first thought is to do a carb cleaning, per these instructions (https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...carb-cleaning/ ) *note the carb has never been cleaned, bike has over 13k on it. Before I proceed down this route since I am not sure if this will fix my problem I wanted to put out a post and get some feedback to see if there are other ideas. Maybe its just a simple carb adjustment? My other option is to take it in to Yamaha and let them deal with it which I hate to do because I am low on money and am on a budget. At the end of the day I need to get it fixed in the most economical way possible. Help!

Info that might help:

-I have run seafoam through the gas 2 times with no positive result

-I live at a much higher elevation now, over a mile high but the problem didn’t start with the elevation change

-The bike seems to get less gas mileage than I would expect, I chalked it up to heavy gear loads and and open throttle, now I wonder if this is an indicator to this issue.

-This problem started to happen about a year ago, I have just rode at around 60ish to avoid it

-Its a CA bike, so it has the CA can (emmisions deal) on it, just so you know

-Bike has a little under 12k miles on it

What is your new elevation? From my experience with the older models, they set the main jet too rich. If you were at a lower elevation in CA than you are now in Montana your bike may be running to rich at Wide Open Throttle. Just a thought?? You could try a smaller main jet and see how it works.

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Start from three different branches (fuel, air, spark) and work towards the root. Quickest branch is air filter. Next is a fresh spark plug (unlikely), then fuel.

If your tank isn't venting, you could have similar issues. Try removing the cap for some vacuum release. After that, petcock. Inspect for decent flow and no clogs in the screen.

Then you get to the most likely culprit, but you should always check those others first as it's easier to fix and easier to miss. You're very possibly just not jetted for your elevation. But before that, give it a decent cleaning, especially if you've got anything in the float bowl. And float height could be involved as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Questions from past threads on your topic

Do you run a fuel filter? If not some crud may have worked it's way down into the carb.

How often have you been adjusting the valves?

Compression check?

So you live around 5000ish feet, what does your plug look like?

Low fuel flow rate from partially blocked petcock,float bowl level, needle and seat, or kinked hose?"

Cracked carb joint?

My first guess would be the tank isn't venting correctly. Check the vent line that goes from the canister to the bottom of the tank and make sure it is clear. Or see if you can borrow a vented gas cap and use it and see what happens.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for the responses and I apologize it has taken me a bit to respond, work work work right.

To answer the questions, I will do my best to make sure I hit them all:

-My new elevation is about 5500 and I ride in to higher elevations on my adventures (Butte, MT)

-I do not run a fuel filter

-I have not adjusted my valves for about 7k miles

-Not sure on my compression, is there an easy way to check without having a compression checker?

-I have not cleaned my air filter for around 3k miles

*So the tank not venting correctly, this seems to be a common theme and seems like an easy one to check. I should have some time after work tomorrow to tinker around and will post a follow up, after that I am assuming checking my screens might be the next course of action based on the feedback.

One thing to note, I have noticed the bike does backfire when I give it full throttle, then completely let off but only in 5th gear.....the other thing which is similar is sometimes there is a hesitation when I do the same, about a second.....so much hesitation that I started subconsciously not letting all the way off as I needed the power in traffic. I just want to throw this info in as it seems fuel/air/spark related and I thought it might be a clue.

Stay tuned and again thank you guys so so much for the help!

I have a question. When the bike quits, how long before it will run again? Does it crank over freely but not start?

Did it ever run normally in Montana?
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Hey guys,

Been a bit mia, I ended up getting really sick but am back on the mend which has set me back a bit on my troubleshooting, hopefully slated for this weekend.

To answer the questions, yes the bike did seem to do this in CA but not as much. My rational is most of my riding in CA was for 20 minutes or less on the freeway but I do still feel like it did it, maybe not as bad. So when the bike stops it does crank over no problem, it just doesn't start for about a minute or so. The more I think about it I lean towards the breather hose....of course the first thing I do when it stops (after I get done swearing and trying to re-start it) is open the tank and look at the fuel level, it seems to start after so that will be my first check. Hoping Sunday is my day, cross your fingers!

Hey all,

Finally able to start my trouble shooting on this, so I pulled the seat and started removing my tank to check the vent tube.....here is my next challenge, my bike is a CA purchased bike and has the awful CA can on it which the vent tube connects to (see pics). Now the question is could this CA emissions addition be causing the issue, basically do I need to replace it with a new one, thoughts?

So the carb has a hose that runs to it and so does my tank vent. My first thought is just disconnect the tank vent from the CA emissions can and see if I get any result, I am a bit hesitant as I do no know what the carb side of it does (maybe it needs some level of pressure) just not sure. The big question is does anyone have any advice? The thing to note is I will not be able to test to see if anything works for a while as being in MT, riding season is a ways off.

As always, thank you for any help...it is very very appreciated!

Blow in that tube, you should hear air in the tank. If you do hear air, ride it with the tube disconnected (like in the picture) that will tell you if it is your tank not venting.
    09 TW200

04 BMW 1150GS

61 Sunbeam Alpine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links