Rear Shock Lower Mount Pin / Cotter Pin
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rear Shock Lower Mount Pin / Cotter Pin

Rear Shock Lower Mount Pin / Cotter Pin

After buying a V-star 1100 shock to lower the bike for my wife & oldest daughter, I've found I want the ability to relatively quickly go back and forth from lowered to stock height. The shock removal / swap is relatively easy, but one of the biggest issues is the cotter pin at the end of the pin on the lower mount. After 2 or 3 flexes these break. I'm wondering why you couldn't use the bolt & lock nut (and washers) that came with the v-star shock. Wondering if it has to be a pin for a specific reason? Any other ideas?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

No specific reason I can think of. Cotter pins are super cheap to pick up even in bulk. So try the bolt and see how it goes or grab a bunch of cotter pins from Ace or your local hardware peddler. Another option could be to use a hitch pin, but I am not sure how that would work out, but it's an idea for quicker swaps...
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

My same thoughts. Hitch pin seems like it would be a good fit, but I always ask 'why wouldn't yamaha just use one'. Always seems there is some reason: vibration, stress, other mechanical reason. Hitch pin could be used over and over so that would be nice, but probably not as secure. Seems a split cotter pin is used in instances where you really don't want it to come off. More of a permanent solution I guess, not made to be taken on and off a lot.
    Fred, jtomelliott49 and Darth like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Please let us know how this goes for you. I also bought a v-star shock, but I'm a ways from installing it. Having the flexibility to change the shock would be awesome.
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

I've done the shock swap twice now and can do it pretty quickly without even removing the rear tire. This pin is actually one of the more tricky items as there isn't much room in there, and it has to be bent and un-bent in a tight space. Having a bolt with lock nut (like the top is done) would be much easier. Gonna try the lower bolt from the V-Star shock next time I have a few mins.
    Fred and jtomelliott49 like this.

I haven't seen the V Star bolt but I imagine you should use a shoulder bolt so you don't over tighten it in the mounting and a nylock type nut, or maybe a pair of locking nuts.
    Thinking more about it, maybe a castellated nut with an 'R' pin and a small hole drilled through the bolt.
    Fred, jtomelliott49 and Darth like this.

2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

If you use the bolt be careful not to pinch the shock in the mount when you tighten it.
    Myself I'm not good with the hitch pin. I'd rather use the cotter pin
    87 TW

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    If you use the bolt be careful not to pinch the shock in the mount when you tighten it.
    Yeah, for sure. Will make sure there's free motion after putting it in. Seems a bolt is the more secure option. Those lock nuts are not coming off unless there's a wrench on both nut and bolt head ends.

So the stock shoulder bolt that shipped with my used v-star 1100 shock (the longer of the two bolts) does not quite have enough thread on it to allow the lock nut to bite at the end of travel. It's super close, but not safe enough. I would like to find the same sized bolt diameter / threads, but slightly longer non-threaded length. I'm thinking it also might need to be rated for the purpose, with shear stress across length (ie. hardened).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links