Uh Oh! Ticking time bomb? Or something less drastic? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Uh Oh! Ticking time bomb? Or something less drastic?

First thing would seem to be collecting better data to identify and isolate source of the noise. I would take a long screwdriver, rod, dowel, or other rigid sound conducting shaft and with one ear to the rod place other end firmly on engine and track down source of loudest noise. The louder the noise the closer to the source whether it be valves, cylinder, gearbox, exhaust pipe, etc.
    Has this been done yet?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sounds like valve train.

It sounds like valves to me too. Reading the gaps can be tricky and reading sometimes misleading. My valves get louder when my engine hits higher RPMs. I suspect this is the tolerance changing with temp. Last time I adjusted them they did the same thing so I suspect it's time to check them again. I believe heating and cooling of the engine causes the tappet to unwind
    slowly increasing the gap. Next time I do it I will go on the smaller end of the tolerance to prolong the adjustment.

Also ..maybe it's just me but your idle sounds a bit high.

After another listen it sounds to me like half of the taps you get from valves. Like the exhaust valve is more open then it should be and the intake being tighter is not as audible.

I assisted with valves on another bike and I insisted a triple check and the timing was off which would have got over looked.

O know I posted this on youtube but should here for other too...
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 05-23-2019 at 02:57 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

While you are setting the valve clearance again, back the tappet bolt all the way out and have a close look at both the end of it and the face of the valve for evidence of hammering. If they show that you will need a new bolt and a new valve. Most likely it is the exhaust valve that would exhibit this, but if it does then check the intake as well. There are some photos in here somewhere of what a badly hammered valve tip looks like.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The OP didn't say anything about having adjusted the valves. Someone else did.....still good advice as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    First thing would seem to be collecting better data to identify and isolate source of the noise. I would take a long screwdriver, rod, dowel, or other rigid sound conducting shaft and with one ear to the rod place other end firmly on engine and track down source of loudest noise. The louder the noise the closer to the source whether it be valves, cylinder, gearbox, exhaust pipe, etc.
    Has this been done yet?

Fred that is genius and will be my next move, Before opening the engine and valve covers etc. again. I did mention that I had recently adjusted the valves to spec.

After reading replies on here I am wondering what is best though to be closer to the minimum spec or closer to the maximum?

Another question. Is it normal for a 4 stroke motor like this to have some valve tapping sound? This is just louder perhaps due to an issue with those parts?

Going in for a closer..... listen
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Really doesn't sound that bad. I agree with the valve adjustment which you should check from time-to-time anyway.
    And the exhaust gasket could be loose or deteriorating too just from age and heat. Check to see if the bolts can use a slight tightening but be very careful. Those things have a tendency to snap-off and bring you bigger issues than a simple ticking sound.
    Thank you, I’ll take a look at that, and be very careful. The exhaust is getting pretty rusty and has hit a few objects so it’s a possibility, just don’t want to bust off a bolt head.

I can stand the sound if it’s not going to cause damage, I just want to be sure of what it is, I do feel like it’s a warning though

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherJim View Post
    I had this happening with my '89. When I bought it, I thought the valves were a bit noisy and asked the seller about his adjustment intervals. He said he'd rather hear the valves than burn up his engine. Hmm, okay. One of the first things I did was check and adjust the valves (engine cold), but they always seemed noisy to me, even though the bike ran great. Adjusted again and again and the same thing. I couldn't stand it anymore! As it turned out, one of the keepers had gotten hammered (forget which valve) and a valve was bent, probably from never adjusting them! Although I do most of the necessary maintenance on my machines, I'm not the best mechanic, so I took it to a trusted local moto shop for the work. Cost me about $400 for the labor and some new parts. Problem solved and I couldn't be happier. Once sorted, you're still gonna hear the valves, but at a much lower, reasonable level. Good luck!
    Thanks BrotherJim, couple questions. What is the keeper you are referring to, and how did you know the valve was bent?

Mahalos!

Sounds like the upper end. How many miles on the bike and has it ever been run low on oil?
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!
    05-BMW1200GS- Rock Red 106k miles
    2013-TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 5k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by Soulprogression108 View Post
    ...After reading replies on here I am wondering what is best though to be closer to the minimum spec or closer to the maximum? ....
    There are many ideas on this, but for a low power engine like the TW the best procedure is to set it in the middle. The reason for this is that for any individual engine and Exhaust vs Intake it is impossible to predict which way the clearance will change over time. Initially the exhaust may go tight and the intake may go loose, and then after 10,000 miles they may reverse. Since it is actually rather difficult to change the clearance by only .001, the middle is the best choice.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links