• 2 Post By RockyTFS
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By tylermoney
  • 1 Post By Ken
  • 1 Post By tylermoney

Thread: Carburetor Question (2019 TW)

Carburetor Question (2019 TW)

Okay,

So I was planning on quickly doing carb work this afternoon, but it didn't end up going as quickly/easily as I hoped it would. I am rolling to a bike night in a few mins, so decided to put everything back together and try again when I've got more time to focus and don't need to ride.

I ultimately was trying to avoid removing the carb entirely since it can be a big pain in the ass to get it off and back on again. I read a few recos on different forums (and I think one from this forum??) that seems to imply you can just loosen the boot clamps and "turn/twist/tilt" the carb to either side for access. I was unable to get it to tilt enough to actually get full access to either the top/bottom of the carbs to adjust my jet and add shims to my needle. If I take the tank off, I can get to the top and adjust the needle, but I'm guessing I will just have to remove the carb entirely to access to bottom/etc.

Also ... anyone have a recommendation for replacement screws for the boot clamps? One of mine was super tight and I buggard it all up trying to get it loose. It's in pretty rough shape now, so I don't have it tightened down all the way currently, as I am worried I won't be able to get it off again—seems to have been over-tightened during it's original assembly (this is my first attempt to remove the carb). I'm definitely going to need a replacement here pretty quick I think. Any recommendations there would be swell

If I get the carb off, I should be able to figure everything else out, but am I crazy that the "tilt" method doesn't seem to work on the CV carbs from 2001 and up? Am I doing something wrong? Do I just have to sack up and remove the carb completely and get over my laziness?

Thanks all.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DG Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs

1973 Yamaha RD350

Loosen boots and rotate. You’ll probably need to remove the throttle cables. I always go to my local hardware store for misc screws/bolts. Probably wanna get a good set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers. Good luck. It’s not hard, just fiddly.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

If you change the float bowl screws to SS Allen head M4-14, you will be able to easily get the carb turned far enough in either direction to remove them for jet changes with an Allen key. IN the meantime, removing the throttle quadrant will help add enough clearance. You MUST use JIS drivers on those float bowl screws!
    For the boot clamps, any old hardware store metric machine screw will work....then you can use a Phillips on them next time.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    If you change the float bowl screws to SS Allen head M4-14, you will be able to easily get the carb turned far enough in either direction to remove them for jet changes with an Allen key. IN the meantime, removing the throttle quadrant will help add enough clearance. You MUST use JIS drivers on those float bowl screws!
    For the boot clamps, any old hardware store metric machine screw will work....then you can use a Phillips on them next time. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
    I actually used one, but I think it was to pointy (black tipped driver head?). I did NOT attempt the float bowl yet, as I wasn’t able to tilt enough to have good enough access to actually get to everything. It was just the phillips for the engine side clamp for the carb.

I do need a complete set of JIS though–I actually don’t know where mine came from 😳
    Last edited by tylermoney; 05-24-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DG Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs

1973 Yamaha RD350

I think this is the set I bought a few years ago.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-J...gateway&sr=8-3

But you need to get the carb twisted about 45 degrees to use them since they are long.
    tylermoney and Darth like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The damaged boot clamps can have slots cut to accept a conventional blade screwdriver should one wish not to have to replace them. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Unless you hide all your #2 Phillips drivers and replace them with an abundant supply of JIS drivers, bits and an impact driver it will be all to easy to damage the additional JIS fasteners on the bike. The carb's float bowl drain screw is another I modify to accept a blade screwdriver for ease of operation.

EDIT: Nice JIS driver link Rocky, thanks. The impact driver would make a nice addition too. Vessel 125943 908 P3x150 Impacta Screwdriver
    Last edited by Fred; 05-24-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Darth likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

JIS driver set ordered and coming tomorrow. I'm jonesen' to work on the bike tonight since I've got time, but I am not gonna do it until I get the drivers—I already mucked up one screw, and can't afford to jack up the actual carb

It also looks like my DG slip on came in this afternoon. So by the end of the weekend I should have the new jet in, the needle shims on, the idel/air screw adjusted, and the slip on installed. Super stoked going into the 3-day weekend.
    Fred likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DG Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs

1973 Yamaha RD350

Thanks for the link Fred.

I am about to pull the trigger on some JIS screwdrivers. I am wondering if in the experience of others, does the Impacta work OK as a regular driver also? Does it feel different from a regular driver under normal use? I'm starting fresh. As an example...should I buy a P2 driver and the P2 Impacta or is it practical to just order the Impacta?

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoolmak 2.0 View Post
    Thanks for the link Fred.

I am about to pull the trigger on some JIS screwdrivers. I am wondering if in the experience of others, does the Impacta work OK as a regular driver also? Does it feel different from a regular driver under normal use? I'm starting fresh. As an example...should I buy a P2 driver and the P2 Impacta or is it practical to just order the Impacta?
    I bought a Mikuni carb screwdriver set. It had 1 handle and a JIS bit, 2 different sized flatheads, a float gauge and a small wrench handle. I have used it on several carbs and I haven't stripped any screws. I think it was well worth the money.
    tylermoney likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I bought a Mikuni carb screwdriver set. It had 1 handle and a JIS bit, 2 different sized flatheads, a float gauge and a small wrench handle. I have used it on several carbs and I haven't stripped any screws. I think it was well worth the money.
    I bought a set of JIS drivers, and they made a world of difference. Unfortunately I lost a tool bag during my off-roading this past Sunday. It's totally my fault, as I did not remove the tool bag and set it in my truck prior to riding, nor did I ensure they were tied down so that they wouldn't come off. Ugh.

I ordered another set off amazon, but there was a pricier than normal lesson, thought the set I found on amazon are only about $20. Still, now I have paid $40+ for these drivers. Whamp whamp whaaaa. Definitely won't do that again.
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DG Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs

1973 Yamaha RD350

Sponosred Links