• 1 Post By RockyTFS
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By elBuro
  • 1 Post By Soulprogression108
  • 1 Post By EatElk
  • 2 Post By elBuro

Thread: Bike dies multiple times

Bike dies multiple times

So I have had an issue last couple of times I have been riding Lucile. She starts fine, runs a couple of miles and dies. I then pull the choke, starts right up and I am on my way for another mile or so. She sputters a bit, coughs and weases and conks out. She did this 7 or 8 times today and ran solid for a few hours. Gas line is clear, tank clean, good fuel etc..,

Sticky floats perhaps? Any sage advice would be appreciated. I thank you in advance.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Don't take her down in that hole again until it's fixed!!!!! In the meantime try some Seafoam. You say the tank is clean but did you pull the petcock and subject the filters to inspection with a bright light and a magnifier?
    Fuel starvation will have very similar symptoms......except for running OK for a few hours. That's a conundrum.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

This may very well not be the problem but you may wish to check the foilowing:
    Temporary inadequate fuel delivery due to in poor gas tank venting creating a minor vacuum in the tank. With this problem once the bike stop the vacuum dissipates fairly rapidly, fuel delivery resumes and the bike will then run again (until tank vacuum builds up again). I had this vexing problem due to clogged charcoal canister on a California model.
    To test if this is the problem one can 1) loosen gas cap as bike starts to fail or 2) use only a brief wait, not the choke, to see if bike starts again after it sputters and stalls.

In general it seems the constant velocity carbs on newer TWs are often extremely sensitive to venting, so make sure carb vents are also clear. Experience indicates submerging the carb vent tube at engine bottom in a creek crossing or long puddle will usually stall these bikes out after only a few seconds of immersion. I like to temporarily pull my vent tube up above the anticipated water line but others like a system of valves and secondary vents hoses pioneered by LIZDBREATH .
    Good luck, hope it is something simple like air rather than fuel.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    This may very well not be the problem but you may wish to check the foilowing:
    Temporary inadequate fuel delivery due to in poor gas tank venting creating a minor vacuum in the tank. With this problem once the bike stop the vacuum dissipates fairly rapidly, fuel delivery resumes and the bike will then run again (until tank vacuum builds up again). I had this vexing problem due to clogged charcoal canister on a California model.
    To test if this is the problem one can 1) loosen gas cap as bike starts to fail or 2) use only a brief wait, not the choke, to see if bike starts again after it sputters and stalls.

In general it seems the constant velocity carbs on newer TWs are often extremely sensitive to venting, so make sure carb vents are also clear. Experience indicates submerging the carb vent tube at engine bottom in a creek crossing or long puddle will usually stall these bikes out after only a few seconds of immersion. I like to temporarily pull my vent tube up above the anticipated water line but others like a system of valves and secondary vents hoses pioneered by LIZDBREATH .
    Good luck, hope it is something simple like air rather than fuel.
    Had this same problem on a DRZ400 I once owned. Tank spillover valve issue on it.
    2006 TW200 CA version

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar
    If there’s any water in the fuel system it will do this same thing. Because of separation it will start and then with the vacuum it will pull it in and she ain’t tuned to run on h20 😉

If you haven’t figured it out it’s well worth flushing the system from tank to carb and then running some fuel treatment for water. And if you empty your tank and do find some water in the fuel figure out how it got in and fix it. Some aftermarket gas caps particularly key caps will leak. Sometimes it’s the hose to the carb cracked, etc.

Not saying that’s what it is but sounds like what I had last year.

This sounds to me like a definite fuel issue. This exact thing happened to me with a clogged petcock screen. Could also probably happen with a speck of dirt in the wrong place or a fuel tank breathing issue. Check those few things first.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Well I added some seafoam and also drilled out my gas cap to make sure things were venting well. Spent about 70 miles on the dirt yesterday with only one moment where she sputtered a little bit. I'll keep you posted if things change but I'm cautiously optimistic that it was a venting issue as I had previously added some seafoam my last fill up.

As always thanks for pitching in everyone! 🙂
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sthrnromr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EatElk View Post
    Well I added some seafoam and also drilled out my gas cap to make sure things were venting well. Spent about 70 miles on the dirt yesterday with only one moment where she sputtered a little bit. I'll keep you posted if things change but I'm cautiously optimistic that it was a venting issue as I had previously added some seafoam my last fill up.

As always thanks for pitching in everyone! 🙂
    Here's my venting solution (key lock broke so I made the best of the situation)...

DSC00001.JPGDSC00004.JPGDSC00007.JPG
    Sthrnromr and goldenhtr like this.
    2006 TW200 CA version

Sponosred Links