Creaky clutch action
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Creaky clutch action

Creaky clutch action

When i squeeze my clutch lever it does not operate smoothly. It operates, but the action is... creaky. It's on a 2019 tw. Could this be a cable lubrication issue? I watched some youtube videos and it doesn't look too difficult.

It could be as simple as having the bolt on the hinge too tight. A 2019 should not need cable lubrication yet.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The creaky feel is something binding. When enough tension is applied, the bind is overcome and the lever jumps to the next bind. Repeat and it's a creaky feel. It could be poor assembly on the cable route. I'd start there. It could be a lube issue. I don't think they come from the factory lubed, the dealer does it as part of assembly. If the cable is mounted right, I'd lube it. I use Corrosion-X.
    The bear slayer!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Idon'thaveoneyet... View Post
    When i squeeze my clutch lever it does not operate smoothly. It operates, but the action is... creaky. It's on a 2019 tw. Could this be a cable lubrication issue? I watched some youtube videos and it doesn't look too difficult.
    This has been affecting a number of members with newer TWs including my 2019, and I have done evvvvverythang to try and resolve, cable lube kit, lubed the top of the push lever assembly, lubed the clutch lever hinge... nothin.

Talking with my friend we both agree that the clutch push lever spring just might be a weak spring which explains as the clutch wears in over a lot of miles, the friction zone gets further out on the lever, creating less of the jerky/sticky/creaky clutch we are experiencing.

For some reason when I swapped my handlebars this last time, the clutch lever release softened up a bit, but my friction zone is pretty small and close to fully releasing the clutch lever... so who knows!? Some people say put a couple hundred miles on it and it gets less noticeable, some people only have the problem when the bike is cold, mine goes away after changing the handlebars...

You can try lubing (which helped mine a little) but maybe loosening the whole cable at top and bottom then readjusting, and see what happens.

Given the way these bikes are delivered to the dealer, the first thing you need to look at is the cable routing from the bars to the engine. Long sweeping curves are good, sudden changes in direction are not

May sound simple enough, but you need to check this first …..
    Sthrnromr and Miaugi like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Iíve read many new owners on here finding their clutch spring improperly installed. I didnít see that covered yet in this thread. Iíll try to find a picture of proper installation.

Picture and discussion of improper dealer installation...

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...ientation.html
    Last edited by Badgerflorida; 05-28-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    littletommy and Sthrnromr like this.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

The cable seems routed correctly. The spring is installed correctly as well. It feels like the creak comes from the pivot point or swivel where it enters the case. Can that point be lubricated with some type of dry lube or silicon or something?

The cable seems routed correctly. The spring is installed correctly as well. It feels like the creak comes from the pivot point or swivel where it enters the case. Can that point be lubricated with some type of dry lube or silicon or something?
    I hit the top of the push lever assembly with a little PB blaster just around the spring and a really light spray, and worked the clutch lever a bit. Didn’t seem to make too much of a difference.just an FYI for my bike.

Had a friend of mine look at it and just thinks the spring tension of the return spring might be a little weak, but that’s just speculation.

Can that point be lubricated with some type of dry lube or silicon or something?
    Unlikely as you will be going into an oil seal at some point - as it's a 2019, roll with it and see how it pans out. The tolerances on these bikes isn't great, so it may work itself out ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

This problem seems to be commonly reported with owners of 18-19 model TW's. Yamaha also changed the clutch disc shape recently, I'm thinking these are related. There have been several threads about it, but a new one pops up every day or two about someone's new TW with a crummy clutch that doesn't operate smoothly or stalls the engine frequently when clicking into gear.

Problem is the "old" clutch plate part # have been superseded by the new one, so even if you order ones for an old TW, you'll get the new plates. Yamaha claims the new plates have improved oil circulation, but honestly it seems they fixed a problem that wasn't there are created a new one in the process.
    Badgerflorida likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links