Carburetor float woes and eBay Carburetor
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Carburetor float woes and eBay Carburetor

Cool Carburetor float woes and eBay Carburetor

When I purchased my 2009 TW200 the carburetor was full of junk and the float valve wasn't seating correctly, which resulted in a slow leak from the bottom overflow port. I ignored it for awhile and just made it a practice to shut off the petcock and run the engine until the carb was empty. I finally had enough of the gas smell filling my garage, so this weekend I pulled the carb off with the intention of pulling the float valve and replacing the o-ring. I followed the directions for using slip-joint pliers to get the float pin moving and then used a punch to to drift it out the rest of the way...or so was the plan. I started tapping on the pin gently (well, what I consider gently!) and ended up breaking off the carb body post that the pin goes through! Thankfully I had the foresight to have a spare eBay carb on hand, so with much trepidation I installed it and fully expected it to need a lot of tweaking because hey, it's a $40 eBay carb from China!? how good can it be?? First things first I screwed in the idle mixture screw until it stopped, and then backed it out 2.5 turns (seems to be the common setting around here), turned on the fuel and started it up. Wow, this thing runs great!! No issues, no problems. At $40 a pop it's almost cheaper to just swap out your carb then rebuilding it! (minus the learning experience of how to rebuild a carb!)
    jbfla, elime, Sthrnromr and 4 others like this.

Good job! Just for grins post the ebay link you used to get the carb.
    Miaugi and Fred like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ok, my memory is getting worse by the day... couple of edits. I bought the carb from Amazon, and it was $46! Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CQ...b_b_asin_title

2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

The main question to be answered with this carb is does it fit the engine and air box boots on the 2001-2019 TWs? If it does ten it won't fit the boots on the older 1987-2000 bikes.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    The main question to be answered with this carb is does it fit the engine and air box boots on the 2001-2019 TWs? If it does ten it won't fit the boots on the older 1987-2000 bikes.

GaryL
    I am not saying it’s accurate, but the description states it’s for 2001+ . Either way a very important note for any would be buyers.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Yes, the carb is identical to the 2001+ carb, and it fits the boots fine on my 2009. For the price it's not a bad idea to grab one just for the spare parts.

The reviews suggests that you have to swap the throttle cable holder from the old carb to this new one (which is simple enough) - and that no, the boot size is different to the airbox on the old models – this is OK for the new ones

Some bright spark did simply put a K&N cone on there, but that’s just cheating

The jets need “tweaking” as this carb runs a bit rich out of the box - no indication of whether you can use your old jets in the new carb

For 50 bucks, it looks like a good deal – grab one as a spare if nothing else

There are cheaper ones out there that will save you enough money for a couple of beers, but inevitable come with a few more compromises ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Correct, you do need to swap the throttle cable plate and spring. I tried it with the original and I couldn't figure out why it was idling high, even with the idle adjuster all the way backed out. Turns out the throttle cable holder is slightly different dimensions. Once swapped I was able to adjust the idle speed just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links