Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Michael Bryce Winnick
  • 3 Post By Purple
  • 2 Post By Michael Bryce Winnick

Thread: Swing Arm Bobbins

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar

Swing Arm Bobbins

I have a Bonneville. Weight is about six hundred pounds. I do not want to run the bobbins through the hollow rear axle as is easily possible. I would rather replace my lower shock bolts with a universal 8mm bobbin. Is there any risk or downside to lifting the bike this way? No holes in the swing arm and I am not drilling and tapping to change that.

Thanks

You’ll have to make sure the paddock stand has clearance behind, not all of them do. If this is the twin shock bike, I’d be inclined to run a bolt through each shock with a long threaded end to the outside, and secure the shock with one nut, and the bobbin with a second nut. This will isolate the stresses of the two components. May seem like overkill, but that’s just the way my brain is wired

On some of the more modern versions of bikes of this ilk, I’ve noticed a trend that introduces “bobbins” on the upper frame as some sort of crash mitigation device – eg it goes down the road on the bobbins, saving the bike. Be aware that if this creates a contact point with this in place, the sideways stress goes onto the swing arm, which it is not intended to take

Other than the above – it’s all good …….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I am not a fan of "sliders." By the time they are relevant I am dead. I have SW Motech Engine guards that bolt up on three points. I also have Free Spirit guards attached to my engine case. No sliders. No romantic image of me and the bike sliding and coming to a passive stop. I see my gazillion dollar clothes (klim) turning into confetti and me being on life support.

Anyhow, I am back thinking about going through the axles the way the bobbins are intended to be installed.

Purple--I like the way you think heavy duty and excess. There is no safe or excess in motorcycling. Thanks. MBW
    Last edited by Michael Bryce Winnick; 06-03-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Smitty Blackstone and Purple like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

MBW- I think your plan will work fine. I place jack stands under the bobbins on my V-Strom to remove the rear tire and do service. Works great, and looks cool.

Thanks. By using the shock bolts, I can leave the axles alone and pull the tire and service on the rear stand. Thanks for reading my mind. Why would anybody go through the axles and frustrate a tire change and service ability. At best you can lube the chain. I like the set up Purple put out there. MBW
    Last edited by Michael Bryce Winnick; 06-03-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Sponosred Links