Crappy day on the TDubs, 1999 idles but won't take throttle, 2014 idles high or dies
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Crappy day on the TDubs, 1999 idles but won't take throttle, 2014 idles high or dies

Angry Crappy day on the TDubs, 1999 idles but won't take throttle, 2014 idles high or dies

First ride of my 2nd season of TW-ing was a bust. We fought with the '14 stalling every time it came to a stop -would either idle really fast or not at all. After 32 miles of riding, the '99 decided it would only run at idle and wouldn't take any throttle. We had to push it out of the woods and truck it home.

Both bikes stored with fuel treatment and run several times throughout the winter. I always treat the fuel, always swap/clean air filters after every ride. Ran all last season with no issues. So... WTF? I have to clean/rebuild both carburetors every spring?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Perhaps draining the carbs and tanks and starting with fresh gas followed by putting each carb separately through a disassembly and ultrasonic cleaning could do wonders. It is a hassle, but good starting points.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

If you leave fuel in the carb over the winter (even with stabilizer), the fuel will partially evaporate and leave a residue behind that can easily clog the tiny holes in the pilot jet and emulsion tube.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Move to somewhere where you can ride all year, and you won't have these issues
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    1973 Yamaha RD350

Additional info for those that leave fuel in their bike during storage:

If you never drain and clean the float bowl, you are asking for carb problems.

Dirt particles build up in the float bowl (from unfiltered air vent opening).

Any of these particles can clog the pilot jet or emulsion tube openings:

jb
    admiral, socalnative, Fred and 2 others like this.

My recipe for avoiding this is to use only non-ethanol gas, and I always shut off the petcock while the engine is running and let it run until all the fuel is used in the float bowl. I don't use any additives in my gas.
    I'm not claiming this is a cure-all, but it seems to work for me.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

Even if you run the engine until it stops, there is still a bit of fuel left in the bottom of the bowl.

And there still may be dirt particles in the bowl ingested from the air vent.

jb
    Darth and jtomelliott49 like this.

2 TW's and both with fuel/carb related issues ought to tell the entire story. Most of us and particularly those who do mostly trail and off road riding fill out tanks from 5 gallon gas jugs. I don't care if you treat the fuel or not but if the fuel you use is ethanol and it is allowed to sit either in the tank and carb or in the 5 gallon jug it turns to junk in as little as 3 months. While vacationing in Maine in the northern Moosehead lake region the only place I found non ethanol fuel was in Greenville at the marina. None of the fuel treatments can remove ethanol from the gas and most actually are ethanol themselves. TW's hate ethanol and being designed back in the early 1980s and they never even knew what ethanol was.
    Dump both tanks completely, fill both tanks with fresh fuel, preferably non E if you can get it and give each tank a double dose of SeaFoam. Run each bike for 15 minutes and then let them sit over night so the seafoam does it's wonders. This could clear up your issues if the issues are not too far along yet.

For over winter storage there are lots of "Schools of thought" on this subject. Full tank, empty tank, treated wet carb or completely drained carb and so many more opinions. Ask the mechanic at the boat marina for his recommendations. I use a fogging agent at the end of my season. Turn the petcock off and open and remove the air filter element. Run the engine until it starts to run out of fuel and spray the fogging agent directly into the carb. The bike will run and sputter and smoke a lot until it dies. This process coats the inside of the carb and the piston and cylinder with a liberal coat of protective oil. Close it all up and store the bike. If you leave the tank empty spay it with the fog stuff. If you leave the tank full to the brim then in the spring drain the fuel and put it in your car or truck and fill the tank with fresh fuel. It will smoke a bunch at first while the fogging agent is burning off but the carb should be clean and ready to run once the new fuel gets into it. The real mechanics found at Marinas and at small engine repair shops are the most knowledgeable on this subject and I have never found a single one that has anything good to say about ethanol other than they make lots of money cleaning the garbage out every spring.

GaryL
    Ken, jbfla and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Crappy day on the TDubs, 1999 idles but won't take throttle, 2014 idles high or dies

Yep

2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

I live where I can ride more days than life allows. I'm always surprised how much dirt/particles? there are in the fuel bowls when I have to take them off. I think they are left over from the gasoline that has evaporated.

Smaller motors have smaller carburetors and smaller passages which are easier to plug and slight build up has a greater effect on them.
    On the TW if I haven't started it in a while and if it doesn't start just like it did before, don't even worry about how it runs, turn it off and check the pilot jet, main jet and jet nozzle, the part that the main jet screws into and has the small emulsion holes.
    One of them is blocked and has always been my problem.

I have spares of all of those because I have several of them that I've spent time trying to clean without success.
    Also I haven't been successful draining, using fuel stabilizers or using some other techniques when trying to store these carbs for more than 3 months.
    jbfla and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links