Weird, why?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Weird, why?

Weird, why?

2004 TW200 912 miles. Since acquiring I've only ridden around my property, vetting it out and getting comfortable on the bike.

Yesterday i was playing in the morning, put the bike away for a few hours. When I got the bike out again it started right up no issues, however, the second I put it in gear (first or second gear) the bike would instantly die. Problem is not related to throttle, seems like a clutch or gear sensor. Any ideas? I didn't search before posting.....
    2004 TW200

Side stand interlock can cause the reported symptom if either the side stand is down, switch is bad, or there is a problem with intervening wiring for the switch. If you suspect the switch or wiring is the cause then try using a jumper wire to by-pass the switch. Remove seat and install jumper between terminals on the plug connection leading from side stand, located to left of battery near frame rail.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

"Blip" the throttle before engaging gear

This is a well known problem with (most) motorbikes - you have to have enough "revs" to overcome the sticky clutch plates. Changing the oil tends to improve matters slightly, but it soon returns

Second nature to me now - "A fistful of throttle", then dump the clutch - twas ever thus .......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Purple, thanks for the reply, however I'm 99.999% certain it's not a throttle issue as stated.

Fred, thank you, I will look that direction and troubleshoot accordingly.
    2004 TW200

It's not a throttle issue, but it is a clutch quirk on this bike. IF (capital IF) it is not a switch issue as Fred stated.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

"clutch quirk"....do tell. Of course I'll hope the "IF" is a switch, but if not.....a dub "quirk"?
    2004 TW200

Sticky clutch issue. Sometimes after sitting, the clutch will stick. If you pump the clutch and move the bike back and forth a few times, it usually loosens it right up and you'll be g2g. I've had the same issue a few times. Apparently it's fairly common, especially with the 2018/19 models.

My guess is that's your issues. Try the above with a few variations, and hopefully it gets you back on the road.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    1973 Yamaha RD350

Quote Originally Posted by ibdavid View Post
    "clutch quirk"....do tell. Of course I'll hope the "IF" is a switch, but if not.....a dub "quirk"?
    Yeah...so as Purple mentioned also this bike can get sticky clutch plates and not enough power (~12hp). So, the easiest way to exhibit this behavior is when starting the bike cold in neutral, then shifting the bike into gear with the clutch pulled in. It will often stall. Just a "quirk" of sorts. Starting again or a quick throttle blip usually clears things up.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrnromr View Post
    Yeah...so as Purple mentioned also this bike can get sticky clutch plates and not enough power (~12hp). So, the easiest way to exhibit this behavior is when starting the bike cold in neutral, then shifting the bike into gear with the clutch pulled in. It will often stall. Just a "quirk" of sorts. Starting again or a quick throttle blip usually clears things up.
    kick stand is down

Quote Originally Posted by psunami View Post
    kick stand is down
    Negative. Documented behavior.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links