If I were panning for gold.. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: If I were panning for gold..

Yeah, I was horrified at my 100 mile oil change! I had to go to this forum and do a search to find out if this was okay. Turns out it is perfectly normal on a tw. I have a Chinese bike also. I have changed the oil several times on it and never a speck of debris. Go figure....
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Quote Originally Posted by ttsquirrel View Post
    .....How does one go about cleaning it? Just back washing with water and letting it dry?
    Kerosene and a toothbrush into a glass jar. Then you can get a really good look at the junk.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I usually just let the residual oil drip off for a few minutes, then hold it in a shop rag and thoroughly blow it from the inside out with the compressor. Makes things squeaky clean and no contact with the screen surface ensures none of those tiny little holes get made into bigger holes that could let particulates through.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Bah, you never want to start changing it too early, it wastes oil and takes precious engine material out of the system. Here's a pic of me doing my first TW oil change at 29k, and it was just fine:

Hahaha, what kind of oil do you recommend for this type of performance?

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Hahaha, what kind of oil do you recommend for this type of performance?
    I special order mine from a shop called La Brea in California. It's all organic and 100% natural. Good stuff.
    TW-Brian, Fred and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

As SkiPro stated once any debris that is collected by the filters it is not going anywhere. It is trapped and thus effectively taken out of oil circulation and the equation of concern over engine health. In a lot of unrelated filtering applications the worst filter efficiency occurs with clean filters and then gradually improves as a bit of filter cake develops and captures particles smaller than the filter pore size. Our TWs never develop a filter cake though.
    Even still the 20 micron or so sized particles that tend to match the engine bearing tolerances have a low capture rate on the mesh filters. Frequent oil changes can flush these fine particulates out.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-05-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I special order mine from a shop called La Brea in California. It's all organic and 100% natural. Good stuff.
    Good to know, thanks!

Get yourself a KN143 filter....more pleats to catch more crap! I believe HiFlo makes an HF143 as well.

When I bought my first NEW bike, I broke it in using the Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power method and it served me well.
    It is a point for debate, for sure...but the logic is sound...your call.

Most important bit of information in there is to change your oil after the first 20 miles; that's when the majority of the "wear" occurs and you want to get as much of that crap out of the engine as possible.
    Then, change it again after 100 miles...then 500...then follow the manufacturer's recommendations, or your own instincts.
    Use dyno oil during break-in...NOT because it is "too slippery for break-in" but because it is so darn expensive. After 500 miles, consider your engine "broken in" and drive it as you would usually.

The following oil change can be synthetic...and I would recommend using a high-quality motorcycle-specific brand...but that's a whole other argument!
    Visit my Blog...Hidden Content or my YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TW_in_BC View Post
    Get yourself a KN143 filter....more pleats to catch more crap! I believe HiFlo makes an HF143 as well.
    Actually, HiFlo manufactures the KN ones too, and I bet they are identical.
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links