Recommended maintenance
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Recommended maintenance

Recommended maintenance

Do you follow the recommended maintenance schedule? Specifically adjusting valves at 600 miles?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

I'd recommend it just in case.

Definitely check the valve gap at 600 to 800 miles. Usually they are in spec but not always. Most of the rest of the maintenance items can be done on condition....like chain every 300 and air filter every 500 if you don't have really dusty conditions.The recommended oil change interval is wildly optimistic for dirt...I change mine at 1,000. Sometimes if I have been in really hot conditions I will clean the oil filter at 500 mile intervals.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 06-07-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I sure thought I'd get more people chiming in on this. Either with support for doing the maintenance or the opinion that the maintenance is overstated and too frequent.
    So those that do check for valve adjustments, do you have a shop do that? Or do you do it yourself? And if you do, do you have the specific valve tappet tool or do you use pliers?
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

Regular maintenance is a good thing. Get to know your machine by working on it and listening to it. You'll soon know if something doesn't sound right and you'll already know how to work on it. Intake valves call for .002 - .004 and exhaust .004 - .006 I personally prefer to set it in the middle. So .003 on the intake and .005 on the exhaust. They get adjusted cold or room temperature. It's not that hard so learn to do it yourself. (and you already know if you ask for help here on the forum, you'll get it) Seems a lot of shops nowadays don't know what they are doing. It's best to know what they were set at rather than take some ones word on it. A valve adjusting tool is nice but a square head screw also works. And please.... don't use pliers on anything on your bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idon'thaveoneyet... View Post
    I sure thought I'd get more people chiming in on this. Either with support for doing the maintenance or the opinion that the maintenance is overstated and too frequent.
    So those that do check for valve adjustments, do you have a shop do that? Or do you do it yourself? And if you do, do you have the specific valve tappet tool or do you use pliers?
    Purple, YamTW87, Sthrnromr and 2 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Relax – most of us know our bikes well enough to know what needs doing and when (as you will now you’ve got one)

Oil, oil filter and air filter maintenance depends on use and conditions rather than what the manual “suggests”. But many of us will go through the whole bike maintenance in one afternoon, rather than one thing each time according to the mileage and the manual

Had a dusty weekend ? – clean the air filter. Been hammering over washboard trails ? – check the chain. Done a few long sustained high speed runs ? – oil and oil filter, check the valves while you’re in there

And when was the last time you looked at that grease nipple on the swing arm ?

Bored ? – fine, change the fork oil if you haven’t done it in a while, check the tire pressures etc

After a while, you will know when to do what, and there is no book that knows your bike and the circumstances it’s been through better than the rider. Every ride, toe the chain, look at the oil level and colour, and “listen” to the engine. The bike will tell you everything you need to know

Maintenance schedules are “pretty much” according to the manual, but some things you should do more often, and some things can wait longer – like the guys said – “depends on how and where you ride”

There are some excellent valve adjustment tools around which make life a lot easier – some by members, others over the counter – depends on your budget ….. (just don’t use pliers) …..
    Kev250R, Darth, Ken and 2 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Hahaha! So no pliers then, roger!
    I am planning on doing the work myself, but was wondering about tools.
    Tdubskid has some great maintenance videos!
    Darth, littletommy and YamTW87 like this.

You’ll need proper JIS screwdrivers, a decent socket set, (including something that matches the number of sides on that drain plug), and two torque wrenches (low range and high range)

Four pound lump hammers and various spanners you should already have somewhere …..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I got a question about maintenance and why motorcycle engines have such a high amount of it compared to similar engines. For example; I own several small 4 stroke engines; for my lawnmower, power washer, generators, etc. All of them are 4-stroke OHV engines very much like the TW200 engine. But there is never anything in any of their owner manuals that even describe valve adjustments and the oil change intervals are usually in hours and not nearly as aggressive as what Yamaha wants done for the TW200. In any case, I NEVER change the oil in any of those other engines, some I've owned for decades and use at least 2 to 3 times a week with never a failure. I never drain fuel from the carb or tank and let it sit for a season without ever having to do anything other than tug the rope start a couple times more than usual, but if a TW200 is left for more than a month, the whole carb needs to be cleaned or rebuilt with jets needing replacement. Certainly more engine hours than my TW200. (BTW, added an engine hour meter to my TW200 from the get-go)
    So how come with the TW200 all the maintenance, especially valves? Are they made to a cheaper quality, a less robust design?
    It's been my experience, the more people mess with stuff, the more damage they cause than good.
    Last edited by Ski Pro 3; 06-16-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    raffles and Mel like this.
    The bear slayer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    I got a question about maintenance and why motorcycle engines have such a high amount of it compared to similar engines. For example; I own several small 4 stroke engines; for my lawnmower, power washer, generators, etc. All of them are 4-stroke OHV engines very much like the TW200 engine. But there is never anything in any of their owner manuals that even describe valve adjustments and the oil change intervals are usually in hours and not nearly as aggressive as what Yamaha wants done for the TW200. In any case, I NEVER change the oil in any of those other engines, some I've owned for decades and use at least 2 to 3 times a week with never a failure. I never drain fuel from the carb or tank and let it sit for a season without ever having to do anything other than tug the rope start a couple times more than usual, but if a TW200 is left for more than a month, the whole carb needs to be cleaned or rebuilt with jets needing replacement. Certainly more engine hours than my TW200. (BTW, added an engine hour meter to my TW200 from the get-go)
    So how come with the TW200 all the maintenance, especially valves? Are they made to a cheaper quality, a less robust design?
    It's been my experience, the more people mess with stuff, the more damage they cause than good.
    Most of us here don't think of the TW as a high performance engine, but compared to your lawnmower, power washer, generators, etc. it certainly is. None of those devices have over head camshafts and redline at 9000 rpm. And, most here change oil way more than necessary. By the way, my TW sits all winter with no carb problems - starts right up. Also, just hit 4000 miles and my valves have not needed adjustment yet(yes, I checked them.)

My friend and I just returned from a southern Utah trip with over 800 miles of trail riding on our TW's and neither one of us even touched a wrench during the trip.
    So, obviously, I think the TW is a pretty low maintenance bike!
    Last edited by sibyrnes; 06-16-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    Mel, Ken, Purple and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links