Gearing for mostly city/some highway? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gearing for mostly city/some highway?

15/45 or 15/47
    87 TW

I've read it's difficult to change the front sprocket. But only compared to other bikes. Once I did it the 2nd and 3rd time wasn't difficult at all
    littletommy and Peterb like this.
    87 TW

I've been running 15/44 and it lets 5th feel essentially like an overdrive (technically 5th is always an overdrive, .82:1 if the calculator is right), and makes cruising at 55-60 in 5th very comfortable. The mirrors aren't vibrating so bad you can't use them. However the top speed is more or less the same. At about 70mph you just can't punch through the air any faster with the allotted power. You have to downshift to 4th on hills you might've done in 5th with stock gearing. You can get through an intersection with less shifting, though you'll find you're slipping the clutch a fair amount to take off from a stop up a hill. If I were you I'd probably do something between my gearing, which I consider extreme, and 14/47 (or 15/50) which is close to stock but a little nicer on the highways from what I've read.

Open a few copies of this at once and compare combinations: TW200 Speed Calculator
    Last edited by assquatch20; 06-13-2019 at 06:10 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    I've read it's difficult to change the front sprocket. But only compared to other bikes. Once I did it the 2nd and 3rd time wasn't difficult at all
    I think it's easier than changing the rear sprocket.
    Darth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliemud View Post
    My girlfriend needs more highway speed and she weighs very little. Sounds like we will start with the 15t front. Is there a chain adjustment or linkage reduction required?
    no differences in chain length. i found the 15 tooth was perfect for me. it went good on the highway and still could do all the forstry roads i wanted to do. only down side is, it is a pain changing the front sprocket, be careful of the locating dowels and the wiring when you put the cover back on
    Purple and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    no differences in chain length. i found the 15 tooth was perfect for me. it went good on the highway and still could do all the forstry roads i wanted to do. only down side is, it is a pain changing the front sprocket, be careful of the locating dowels and the wiring when you put the cover back on
    Now this is JMO but why mess with the front sprocket if the 14 is good, I see no reason to mess with taking the cover off and messing with a new gasket and the wiring. To many people have had issues putting the cover back on and pinched the wires. IMO It's so much easier to put on a new rear sprocket( ie:45) in your case and put on a new x-ring chain as well. Now if your front 14 sprocket is bad then you have no choice. But I would still put on an X-ring chain.

Chain-https://www.denniskirk.com/jt-sprock...iABEgJcWPD_BwE

Sprocket-https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-.../dp/B001AVW0B0
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    Now this is JMO but why mess with the front sprocket if the 14 is good, I see no reason to mess with taking the cover off and messing with a new gasket and the wiring. To many people have had issues putting the cover back on and pinched the wires. IMO It's so much easier to put on a new rear sprocket( ie:45) in your case and put on a new x-ring chain as well. Now if your front 14 sprocket is bad then you have no choice. But I would still put on an X-ring chain.

Chain-https://www.denniskirk.com/jt-sprock...iABEgJcWPD_BwE

Sprocket-https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-.../dp/B001AVW0B0
    Of course your opinion is valid, but I hate to see you scare people away from a very simple operation. I have replaced both front and rear sprockets and I would rather do the front. I did not need a new gasket and pinching of the wires is very easy to avoid. Removing the rear wheel, sprocket bolts and keepers and replacing them is much more work. Just another opinion

I find it harder to find the time to change either sprocket than actually the operation of changing them itself
    87 TW

If you want the most out of your T-Dub, I put on a 47T rear. Put Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40, use synthetic oil on your chain, air up tires 32F and 30Rear and use a chain aligning tool instead of using the marks on the swingarm. Also balance your tires. In other words free up all the horsepower you already have!
    2007 Tw200, Cycleracks hump version,(just modified to flat version 1/30/16) Grab-on grip covers, battery tender pigtail, Jimbo smoked windshield, AG supply tool tube, RamMount handlebar mount, Seat Concepts seat, Tusk 30mm handlebar risers, Uni air filter, Pelican 1500 for topcase

2007 TDub (The fastest year made!)
    2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's
    2013 Honda PCX 150
    1995 BMW K75RT
    AF&AM
    US Veteran

I love my 2003 TW but believe I would get tired of shifting gears in constant stop and go traffic. Started out with a 50cc Zuma and sold that to the family as a fun urban errand runner. Hard to beat the convenience of twist and go.

That said, my TW is a better bike for rural secondary roads and moderate off road exploring as a carry-on to my class C motorhome. Came with TW 203/204 tires that I will be removing later to install some dual sport tires. Should have them available for cheap in the next few months
    Last edited by Stimus; 06-20-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Clarity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links