Gearing for mostly city/some highway?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gearing for mostly city/some highway?

Smile Gearing for mostly city/some highway?

Hey everyone,

Just bought a 2007 T-Dub, to replace my 125cc scooter as my daily commuter. I live in Chicago and most of my riding will be around the in/around the city, in stop-and-go traffic, and some highway. I'm wondering what sprockets are ideal for this type of riding. It would be nice to not have to be in 3rd just to get through a light, and I also would like to keep my top speed up for the stretch of 60mph highway on my commute. I know a TW isn't the most practical tool for this type of riding, but for the time being I'd like to make the best of what I have. My MPG's aren't too great at the moment, how will changing gearing affect fuel efficiency?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

15/47 or a 45 with the stock 14 sprocket works for me on and off road. I tried 14/47 first and there was not enough difference.

14/45

I can do 65 on the flats in 5th, 55 up some pretty good grades in 4th (screaming).

I have a DG slip on muffler, carb jetting and snorkel removed. YMMV.
    2006 TW200 CA version

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

First,change the front with a 15T one.
    If that's not enough, begin experimenting by decreasing the rear sprocket teeth until satisfied.
    If you want to cruise at 60 mph at max torque rpm, try 15F/45R.
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    15/47 or a 45 with the stock 14 sprocket works for me on and off road. I tried 14/47 first and there was not enough difference.
    I agree. Change tires to the Bridgestone TW203/204's and you have a great little street bike!
    Peterb and Darth like this.

I ride about 85% on dirt. Some of my favorite longer/challenging trails are a 15 min road ride away, many are 5 min away. But last year I decided to switch to a 47 rear with front stock 14. I felt little change on trail a little at higher speeds. But switched back to stock for Moab and staying there. If you are road only/mostly in flat territory try 45 rear or even 15/45 for a real difference from stock set up. Stock front and switch to 47 rear was a very subtle change. Hardly worth it imo
    Don't expect to do any steep climbs tho

From your description as an urban scooter rider that might jump on the freeway every once and awhile... you don't have to do anything. The bike is set-up perfect for your needs from the factory. The perceived owner "improvements" are mostly personal and tailored for whatever type or riding you are going to use the bike for. I am in no way any different from anyone else that poured a bunch of mods into my "dub". But in the end the most important ones revolved around comfort like a better seat (seat concepts), one inch risers, adults sized footpegs.

The gearing change I did going to a 47T rear sprocket for better highway use was so minuscule that it really didn't make much difference. You can go extreme either way but highway gearing will take away off-road use. The same going the other direction. Sound like you don't need that. Best take away for me in that gearing change was replacing the stock bargain basement chain to an "X-Ring" chain. Perfect if you don't want to spend much time adjusting your chain (2000+ miles and no adjustment yet).

As a city rider you might want to consider a rack or case for transporting stuff, lockable if a case. I have Cycleracks on both the front and the back. They are pricey and the front one is kinda a joke. But I will tell you that between the two racks they make excellent frame and overall bike protection if you drop the bike or for example if you park on the street and someone knocks your bike over trying to squeeze into a parking lot. They would be good urban protection and add a pair of Tusk hand protectors to protect you switch-gear too. They are cheap.

I have a thread (not sure how to find it) as do a bunch or others listing mods they did along the way. You'll get more out of following some of those and deciding what you really "need" first and then what you "want". It's all fun and a great little bike to dress up and play with.

PS: I just recently purchased an older used scooter, a 150cc Vespa. Such a great little bunch of fun and my new go-to-around-town-2-wheeler in the garage.
    Last edited by stagewex; 06-13-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    Purple and Darth like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

I’m 175 lbs and I’m experimenting with 16 - 42 sprockets on my 01. It’s good for my city riding. But 5th gear becomes sorta useless on windy days and most hills. I wanted to bring the revs down and for that it is excellent. It bumped my mpgs up but not as much as I was expecting. I’m sure that’s due to all the time spent at red lights.

My advice is that you can accomplish your goals by simply experimenting with the rear sprocket and not have to remove the left case cover to swap the front. If you’re looking for a place to start I’d say 14 - 45. If you’re heavier or have lots of heavy mods, our whopping 13 hp just can’t do much more at higher speeds.

My 96 has stock gearing and it will hit 65 somewhat easily, but I’ve only ever done it once because it was screaming.
    My 89 has 15 - 45 and it gets to 70 but just runs outa oomph. Not screaming as bad. Again only did it once.
    My 01 with 16 - 42 can hit 75 but only on a downhill. The sound was not nearly as disturbing as the 96. Again only once. These bikes aren’t made for those speeds for extended periods. Change your oil often if you do.

Just my opinions
    Last edited by Badgerflorida; 06-13-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    littletommy and Darth like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

My girlfriend needs more highway speed and she weighs very little. Sounds like we will start with the 15t front. Is there a chain adjustment or linkage reduction required?

No - just the three bikes ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links