Carb adjustments for a cross country trip
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Carb adjustments for a cross country trip

Carb adjustments for a cross country trip

What is the forum’s experience on carb settings for a cross country trip where conditions/elevation varies?
    I have 2019 TW200 and seems to run great here in Michigan (1000 feet above sea level), basically with stock carb and settings.
    I tend to ascribe to the “ if it’s not broken don’t fix it” approach, but is that wise when on is contemplating something like the TAT?
    Can I get by without having to change things on a trip like that?

Plenty of people are using the stock tune for that use. The only thing I'd recommend is a flex jet so that you can properly keep your idle and starts consistent. Not necessary but nice to have.

I commute at 200ft. So for me it made sense to richen it up a touch. Otherwise I would have left it alone
    2001 TW

after you figure out the carb, don't forget to reinforce the sub frame, it doesn't have much of a chance of surviving on a trip like that, in it's stock forum
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Orthodoc View Post
    What is the forum’s experience on carb settings for a cross country trip where conditions/elevation varies?
    I have 2019 TW200 and seems to run great here in Michigan (1000 feet above sea level), basically with stock carb and settings.
    I tend to ascribe to the “ if it’s not broken don’t fix it” approach, but is that wise when on is contemplating something like the TAT?
    Can I get by without having to change things on a trip like that?
    If you are getting along with stock carb settings from the factory like I did for a long time, you will not need to change anything
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by Orthodoc View Post
    ....Can I get by without having to change things on a trip like that?
    You will be fine with some minor idle adjustment up to 7,000 feet. Above that it will still start and run, but may bog some at WOT in fifth. Above 9,000 you will lose a lot of power and may have to stay in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Above 12,000 you will be forced to change the main jet to 2 or 3 sizes smaller to have enough power to climb steep hills. I go to a 118 in Colorado at 8,000 and above.
    Spoolmak 2.0 likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Get a XT250 with fuel injection and forget about it.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

All great advice, thanks to all!

I ride mine on the beaches of the Pacific Coast...and at 10,000 ' in the Mountain West with stock settings and have had no problem.....however I am not riding for hours at highway speeds of 55 mph...….obviously there are bikes that are more suited for a cross country trip.....I have done it with 650 and 750 road bikes on blue roads.... but....what the hell...I admire your spirit of adventure...…

If I were you I would plan on eating in restaurants and staying in motels and traveling as light as possible to maintain the bikes very marginal highway performance .....and my very marginal body...….. including my very marginal butt....
    Last edited by bartruff; 06-19-2019 at 07:57 PM.

I ride from about 1200' to 6500' with 130 main jet. Seems ok for 200cc's.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff View Post
    I ride mine on the beaches of the Pacific Coast...and at 10,000 ' in the Mountain West with stock settings and have had no problem.....however I am not riding for hours at highway speeds of 55 mph...….obviously there are bikes that are more suited for a cross country trip.....I have done it with 650 and 750 road bikes on blue roads.... but....what the hell...I admire your spirit of adventure...…

If I were you I would plan on eating in restaurants and staying in motels and traveling as light as possible to maintain the bikes very marginal highway performance .....and my very marginal body...….. including my very marginal butt....
    That’s good to know
    You have hit on the exact premise of the idea!
    Travel light,hotels,TAT so not much highway.
    Still in the dream/planning stage, but I suspect smaller and lighter might keep things in perspective...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links