Top End Speed - Less that Before ... ?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Top End Speed - Less that Before ... ?

Top End Speed - Less that Before ... ?

Greetings all,

So I've been riding my TW around for 2-3wks or so now after I had done some adjustments to the carb and had added the slip on, and thought my daily riding is still quite fun, the bike feels decent, and has no issues starting up/etc, I have noticed some change in top end speed.

Previous to doing anything at all to the bike, I was able to easily get up to 55/60 and without too much more effort get to 70+ (topped out at about 73mph a couple of times) with pushing it, but not that much. Now I know keeping it at 70+ for too long is not a great idea, but I know much larger folks that me have stating that their stock TW sits at 55-65mph pretty easily. I weight about 138lbs. I would like to do a little longer camping rides, and would like to feel confident on cruising 55-65ish for at least periods of time.

Recent adjustments to bike:
    • Swapped out the stock pipe for a slip on DG.
    • Adjusted the main jet from the stock 126 to a 130 (Pro-cycle Jet Kit)
    - recommended to go to 130 by a few other folks in the Central Texas area
    - Our elevation is approximately 425 feet (130 m) to approximately 1,000 feet (305 m) above sea level
    • Adjusted the idle/air screw from stock to 3x turns
    - had it at 2.5, but was experiencing a little bit o rough riding, and went to 3x and it seems much nicer/consistent

Since then I have ridden off-road and a few different rides around town with folks, as well as several hours alone cruising back streets after work. The bike has had several hundred miles put on it since the work above was completed. Though during some of those rides I have attempted top speed tests, and have yet to be able to get back up in the 70s, and now 55 feels like it's more/less all it's got. I did at least get close to 65mph last weekend, but again, it felt like it was at it's limit more/less. Getting into the 60s seems much more of a task that it has previously.

Any thoughts on what could be causing that? Could it just be that it just so happens when I've been testing top speed there has been too much wind and/or uphill on my routes—aka I'm crazy? I feel like I've done it enough where I'd be able to hit that top speed at some point, or at least feel a bit more comfortable going into 55-60. The first times I tested it anI did not have to push it as hard as I feel I've been pushing it the last couple of time. In fact, today at 55 I couldn't really seem to get it to go much more that that.

Side note: One thing I did think about, was that through removing the carb several times, I also detached the throttle assembly wheel on the carb multiple times. I had tried to remove the actually throttle cables once, and decided I felt it was just easier to remove the assembly—got pretty good at getting that spring back in place (or I think I did). Anywho, in my attempt to "remove the cables" vs. removing the wheel altogether and leaving the cables attached, it's possible I made an adjustment that could effect something. It seems to have the correct about of free place, and seems to still adjust all the way open/close.

I am no mechanic (and usually not a complete idiot), but am trying to tinker, learn and do as much as I can on my own. Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated
    elBuro likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DG Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

I would put the stock main jet back in and see if that fixes it.

I would put the stock pipe back on and see what difference that makes before carbing around. Look at your spark plug to see if its running rich or lean. You may need a bigger main with the pipe
    raffles likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!
    05-BMW1200GS- Rock Red 106k miles
    2013-TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 5k- miles

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

i would try a 128 jet, mine didn't like going from 128 to 130
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I never try to fix anything that is not broken to begin with. Sounds like your TW was running perfectly fine before you made the changes so whatever changes you did have resulted in less than positive performance. It can be fixed and with the parts you have added but it will be a process of hit and miss to get all the new stuff dialed in.

GaryL
    jtstdub, Peterb and raffles like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I'd tend to agree with Gary - but i would add that first you have to dial back everything you did to change things. Taken one step at a time, you will be able to tell what change made the speed decrease - at the moment, you have no way of knowing where to start

Everything is fixable - but you have to know where to look for it ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

My guess is the jetting. More fuel does not necesarrily mean more power, it's more of a bell curve- if you're putting more fuel you still need the correct amount of air to get that ideal 14.7 ratio for more power. But even a 10% power upgrade [which is unlikely] would still be less than 2 horsepower. I'd suggest, like a few others said, to go with a smaller jet and see how that works for you.
    Peterb likes this.

Thanks all. Makes sense. I'll spend some time with it this weekend. I'll likely jump down sightly in my main, and go back to 2.5 turns on the air screw.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DG Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoney View Post
    Greetings all,

So I've been riding my TW around for 2-3wks or so now after I had done some adjustments to the carb and had added the slip on, and thought my daily riding is still quite fun, the bike feels decent, and has no issues starting up/etc, I have noticed some change in top end speed.

Previous to doing anything at all to the bike, I was able to easily get up to 55/60 and without too much more effort get to 70+ (topped out at about 73mph a couple of times) with pushing it, but not that much. Now I know keeping it at 70+ for too long is not a great idea, but I know much larger folks that me have stating that their stock TW sits at 55-65mph pretty easily. I weight about 138lbs. I would like to do a little longer camping rides, and would like to feel confident on cruising 55-65ish for at least periods of time.

Recent adjustments to bike:
    • Swapped out the stock pipe for a slip on DG.
    • Adjusted the main jet from the stock 126 to a 130 (Pro-cycle Jet Kit)
    - recommended to go to 130 by a few other folks in the Central Texas area
    - Our elevation is approximately 425 feet (130 m) to approximately 1,000 feet (305 m) above sea level
    • Adjusted the idle/air screw from stock to 3x turns
    - had it at 2.5, but was experiencing a little bit o rough riding, and went to 3x and it seems much nicer/consistent

Since then I have ridden off-road and a few different rides around town with folks, as well as several hours alone cruising back streets after work. The bike has had several hundred miles put on it since the work above was completed. Though during some of those rides I have attempted top speed tests, and have yet to be able to get back up in the 70s, and now 55 feels like it's more/less all it's got. I did at least get close to 65mph last weekend, but again, it felt like it was at it's limit more/less. Getting into the 60s seems much more of a task that it has previously.

Any thoughts on what could be causing that? Could it just be that it just so happens when I've been testing top speed there has been too much wind and/or uphill on my routes–aka I'm crazy? I feel like I've done it enough where I'd be able to hit that top speed at some point, or at least feel a bit more comfortable going into 55-60. The first times I tested it anI did not have to push it as hard as I feel I've been pushing it the last couple of time. In fact, today at 55 I couldn't really seem to get it to go much more that that.

Side note: One thing I did think about, was that through removing the carb several times, I also detached the throttle assembly wheel on the carb multiple times. I had tried to remove the actually throttle cables once, and decided I felt it was just easier to remove the assembly–got pretty good at getting that spring back in place (or I think I did). Anywho, in my attempt to "remove the cables" vs. removing the wheel altogether and leaving the cables attached, it's possible I made an adjustment that could effect something. It seems to have the correct about of free place, and seems to still adjust all the way open/close.

I am no mechanic (and usually not a complete idiot), but am trying to tinker, learn and do as much as I can on my own. Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated
    I don't see any mention of the needle. Shimming didn't work for me. Get the 5LB-14336-00 used in Australian and South African TWs. Set clip to center position.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...LB-14336-00-00

Also put in the #34 pilot jet. 5LB-14342-17-00 JET, PILOT (#34)

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...LB-14342-17-00

Remove the snorkel from the airbox to move more air through that DG. Very important. Just pull out (rubber duct assembly). Stock air filter. No holes in airbox cover.

Drill out hole on slide diaphragm will a 3/32 or #39 bit.

My air screw with the above changes is at 1-3/4 turns.

Main is a 132. 130 was not enough. 135 was to much. I'm at about 2500 feet elevation, tested at 0 ft to 4500 ft with no issues.

That's my setup. Working great for me with my DG and 2006 CA carb.

No flat spots or hesitation at all. Smooth from bottom to top. More power EVERYWHERE! Stock is not even close.

Took me a VERY long time to get this correct. Enjoy.
    Last edited by elBuro; 06-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    2006 TW200 CA version

Here's what I have on mine (also in Austin) and it runs perfectly. Easily pulls to 70 and tops out around 80-82 with a bit of a tailwind (that's more the piston and cam, although I ran this same setup on stock engine and it also ran great)

32.5 pilot (stock is 31). The one in there is a generic, although I seem to remember seeing you can get a Yamaha 32.5 if you order the pilot jet for a Raptor 90.
    135 main (stock is 126. I ran a 130 for a while and it was good with the stock engine, but I found with the cam it seems to like a little more fuel in the top end)
    Stock needle, no shims. Tried shimming it, just got worse gas mileage for no noticeable benefit.
    Couple holes in the airbox lid. This is much easier to "undo" than removing the snorkel which is completely impossible to get back in once you yank it out. The holes can easily be plugged with a plastic bung, or just covered with tape if you're considering going boating with it and want the higher air intake point.
    Fuel screw about 2 turns. At 1 3/4 it'll start popping on decel a little. 2 turns, no popping at all.
    FMF slip on, w/ XT225 headpipe (identical, just shiny)
    Wiseco 10.25:1 piston, stock 67mm bore
    Webcam stage 1 (340a grind)
    15/47 gears. 60-65 is an easy cruise with power to spare.

I find removing the two cables about 400x easier than taking the entire wheel off and fighting to wind the clockwork spring back up again. I can get the carb off or on the bike in less than 5 minutes.

You're welcome to stop over some evening and we'll get it dialed in.
    elBuro likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links