What gives? Clutch woes.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What gives? Clutch woes.

I read complaints all over regarding the clutch drag. Disengage clutch, push bike, still lots of drag.
    "Common on new bikes"
    "It goes away"
    "Check freeplay adjustment"
    "Check spring at lever"
    Etc.

So I wrote it off as normal for this bike. Until I rode another TW yesterday. My bike has 4k miles, new cable, proper cable freeplay, lever is aligned with mark on case, and I use mobil 4t. Yet once it warms up gear selection is difficult.

The other bike has 5k miles and is a safety course loaner bike. It freely rolls with the clutch disengaged, clutch pull is much smoother, shifts better, easier to find nuetral. Though for whatever reason there is a delay from the time you put it in nuetral to the time the light comes on.

So what's up with my clutch???
    Last edited by TW Newb; 06-23-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    2001 TW

Depends on what you’re asking

Are you saying “gear selection is difficult” – or are you saying “neutral selection is difficult because of a delay in the bulb lighting up” ?

In the case of the latter (the bulb delay), this is something I’ve noticed too, and there’s no cure for it that I know of. Finding neutral in a one down four up box has always been tricky, and given the simplicity of these bikes, perhaps trickier than most

Practice makes it easier, so does fresh oil, but it always was a pig to find, especially if you’re flustered or in a hurry

The other thing to remember, is that no two bikes are the same – top speed, acceleration, even finding neutral is like to be different ….
    jtstdub likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

The bulb issue is on the bike that shifts correctly. It's not a concern, just something I noticed that differs from my bike. My light is instant.

The shifting issue on my bike is related to the clutch not disengaging enough. Especially once it warms up. This loaner bike doesnt have that problem.

Might be because the loaner bike is well worn in. It also doesnt shudder when you feather the clutch but mu bike does
    2001 TW

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

OK – so what you’re saying is the clutch doesn’t fully disengage on “my bike”, and judders when engaging ?

How long have you had “my bike”, how many miles etc, and have you checked the spring is in the correct position on the outside of the crankcase ?

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Sorry thought I covered all that.

Spring is good, lever aligns with mark on crankcase, cable freeplay is correct, clutch begins to disengage early in pull but only feels like maybe 95% disengage at full pull. For instance if it's hot or idle is a lil high it creates enough friction that it wants to stall in 1st at a stop or bangs into gear harder than any bike I've ridden.

4k miles now. Purchased with 3k. It was previous owners first bike. Owner before him is a member on this board
    2001 TW

Sitting at a stop light in 1st gets the clutch stupid hot. So I get to nuetral asap. Of course that's not ideal in traffic.

And even with a brand new cable the clutch pull feels "grainy".
    Last edited by TW Newb; 06-23-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    2001 TW

Neutral light.

Only thing I can think of is that sometimes they are affected by water/condensation and/or sludge. Secondly, check the instrument panel ground wire.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Neutral light.

Only thing I can think of is that sometimes they are affected by water/condensation and/or sludge. Secondly, check the instrument panel ground wire.
    It's not my bike that has the slow light just curious. My bike is instant.
    littletommy likes this.
    2001 TW

I think I realized that maybe not . I just posted it for general information then...
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Newb View Post
    It's not my bike that has the slow light just curious. My bike is instant.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Strange – the only thing I can think of is if one of the previous owners used the wrong oil, or if the cable is somehow binding

Something is not quite right here

Either way, (if it was my bike), I’d disconnect the cable at the bars, grab the nipple with a pair of pliers, and find out if the cable was free – even with a new cable, the route the cable takes is critical, and one seemingly small bend can interfere

After that, (assuming that’s not the problem), drop and replace the friction plates on the clutch – which is not as complicated or expensive as it sounds …..

- Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links